3 observations

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

CLTDore
Captain

3 observations

Post by CLTDore »

1. Our base running is a little suspect of late. We need to be smarter on the base paths.
2. Raby is really struggling. He doesn't look like a reliable option going forward.
3. Jake Mangum is still incredibly unlikeable.

Versus75
Admiral

Re: 3 observations

Post by Versus75 »

Perhaps next time Mangum's dad will talk to the ESPN interviewer.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Mangum is unlikable.
McNamee is unlikable.
Their coach is unlikable.
Their fans are unlikable.
In summary, anything to do with Mississippi State baseball is unlikable.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

VandyFan888 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:30 pm Mangum is unlikable.
McNamee is unlikable.
Their coach is unlikable.
Their fans are unlikable.
In summary, anything to do with Mississippi State baseball is unlikable.
Cowbells. You forgot to mention cowbells.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Raby pitched well versus Duke.

This was not a good outing.

But he may be big down the road. He clearly did not have it today. It happens.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

State Coach is OK - I agree with the rest. He inherited all the other problems when he just took the job this year.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

4. Can we expect that ESPN will stop gushing over Mike Martin now that his team is out of the CWS?

After Florida State LOST to Texas Tech, the video crew rushed to interview losing coach Martin. Meanwhile, the Tech coach was thinking: "What am I, chopped liver?"
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

I predict that even though Martin is gone, ESPN will continue to give him tons of air time. Probably will bring him into the booth to "tell stories". Meanwhile, in the background, the game will be going on and viewers won't know what's going on because they'll be discussing Martin's favorite ice cream flavor and does he prefer waffle cones or sugar cones, as well as numerous amusing (boring?) anecdotes from when Eduardo Perez played for him.
If State gets put out tomorrow they'll likely bring Jake Mangum into the booth as well.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't judge their entire fan base off the actions of a few. Most Mississippi State folks will give you the shirt off their backs. I talked to one in Hoover and he was very nice. He had MSU stuff on but told me he had sent his son to Vanderbilt's baseball camp. Sure enough a short time later this little boy walks up wearing Vandy stuff and sits by him. One the best officers I ever worked for in the Army was a MSU grad. Very down to earn and un-snooty. He loved baseball and his last name was Clark.

I know they hate losing to us. They despise the fact that they've never been able to win a CWS but little ole Vandy is in the driver's seat to win a second one. Also, we've taken over as the marquee baseball program in the SEC. That's hard for them to handle. Must be frustrating, I guess. Maybe we can do the same thing to Alabama and Kentucky someday in other sports.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 pm Don't judge their entire fan base off the actions of a few. Most Mississippi State folks will give you the shirt off their backs. I talked to one in Hoover and he was very nice. He had MSU stuff on but told me he had sent his son to Vanderbilt's baseball camp. Sure enough a short time later this little boy walks up wearing Vandy stuff and sits by him. One the best officers I ever worked for in the Army was a MSU grad. Very down to earn and un-snooty. He loved baseball and his last name was Clark.

I know they hate losing to us. They despise the fact that they've never been able to win a CWS but little ole Vandy is in the driver's seat to win a second one. Also, we've taken over as the marquee baseball program in the SEC. That's hard for them to handle. Must be frustrating, I guess. Maybe we can do the same thing to Alabama and Kentucky someday in other sports.
I couldn’t agree more. I interacted with dozens if not hundreds of Mississippi State fans the last few days and they were basically all extremely nice and polite. I had a lot of nice conversations. One of them gave me some tix to the Auburn-Louisville game right behind home plate and another one gave me tix to our game with Miss State (they were literally in the middle of their fan section so we found a scalper who would swap them for tix in the Vandy fan section)! Really not sure what everyone is complaining about.
GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Post by GooseJones15 »

Oak park did you go to the series in Starkville! They fan base is horrible , said" they were gonna hit me upside my head with a cowbell"! Cursed and harnessed preacher constantly
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

State fans are a lot like VU - they live in a state dominated by another SEC school - you know the feeling. I have a good friend where we keep our boat on the Tennessee River and he is a huge State fan, but likes and respects Vanderbilt for the school it is and the baseball program. Last thing he said to me is hope we get to meet in Omaha. Too bad we are in the same bracket - it would have been great to beat them in 2 out of 3 in the finals and pay back for last year's super regional. Remember State has to put up with Ole Miss all year just like we do UT.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

There is one big observation that no one has mentioned - no annoying whistles during the game.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

GooseJones15 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 am Oak park did you go to the series in Starkville! They fan base is horrible , said" they were gonna hit me upside my head with a cowbell"! Cursed and harnessed preacher constantly
Hi Goose, I’ve never been to a baseball series in Starkville but I have been to the Hump for basketball and it was fine. I also lived in Tupelo for a while and know lots of nice State (and Ole Miss) fans.

Have you had any issues in Omaha? As I said, no issues for me, but rather quite the opposite. And they outnumber us 5 to 1. But we have more to cheer for...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 am State fans are a lot like VU - they live in a state dominated by another SEC school - you know the feeling. I have a good friend where we keep our boat on the Tennessee River and he is a huge State fan, but likes and respects Vanderbilt for the school it is and the baseball program. Last thing he said to me is hope we get to meet in Omaha. Too bad we are in the same bracket - it would have been great to beat them in 2 out of 3 in the finals and pay back for last year's super regional. Remember State has to put up with Ole Miss all year just like we do UT.
You should go to elitedawgs.com and read the 743 posts on the ball game last night. They wuz robbed. They gave the game away. No wonder we win, we have full scholarships for everyone. They have just as much talent as we do, but we just got lucky. Rocker was easily hitable, if they'd just lay off the slider. Sliders are easy to tell from a fastball because of the spin that is easy to see. The umps were on our side. The announcers were on our side. Some said they simply hated us. And the best one, we need to go back to the bottom of the conference where we belong and do our sole job of holding up the academics for the conference. On and on and on. Yes, there were a number that said we simply were better, that Kumar was a stud, and that we had more talent, but they were a minority.
Bunch of scuz bags.
Last edited by commadore on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

VandyFan888 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:45 pm I predict that even though Martin is gone, ESPN will continue to give him tons of air time. Probably will bring him into the booth to "tell stories".
I hope so. Martin is the godfather of college baseball. Hopefully when Corbin is his age and wants to retire, he will get one last shot at the title and be on TV all the time in Omaha as well.

Florida State reaching the CWS is one of the feel-good sports stories of the year. I have nothing bad to say about Coach Martin or how ESPN has been covering him.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Did Mangum do anything last night to make him more unlikable than he already is?

What got me last year was at the Super Regional when he kept waving to the MSU fans like he was Miss America. That, and not giving the ball to a kid.

Live it up, little boy. Your lack of power ensures you a good 2-3 years of A - AA ball.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 pm Don't judge their entire fan base off the actions of a few. Most Mississippi State folks will give you the shirt off their backs. I talked to one in Hoover and he was very nice. He had MSU stuff on but told me he had sent his son to Vanderbilt's baseball camp. Sure enough a short time later this little boy walks up wearing Vandy stuff and sits by him. One the best officers I ever worked for in the Army was a MSU grad. Very down to earn and un-snooty. He loved baseball and his last name was Clark.

Then shouldn't they be extra butt-hurt over LSU baseball? Look at the success LSU has had for a long time.

LSU has 6 national titles between 1991 and 2009.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

We beat MSU 6-3 PERIOD. AMEN!
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 am
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 am State fans are a lot like VU - they live in a state dominated by another SEC school - you know the feeling. I have a good friend where we keep our boat on the Tennessee River and he is a huge State fan, but likes and respects Vanderbilt for the school it is and the baseball program. Last thing he said to me is hope we get to meet in Omaha. Too bad we are in the same bracket - it would have been great to beat them in 2 out of 3 in the finals and pay back for last year's super regional. Remember State has to put up with Ole Miss all year just like we do UT.
You should go to elitedawgs.com and read the 743 posts on the ball game last night. They wuz robbed. They gave the game away. No wonder we win, we have full scholarships for everyone. They have just as much talent as we do, but we just got lucky. Rocker was easily hitable, if they'd just lay off the slider. Sliders are easy to tell from a fastball because of the spin that is easy to see. The umps were on our side. The announcers were on our side. Some said they simply hated us. And the best one, we need to go back to the bottom of the conference where we belong and do our sole job of holding up the academics for the conference. On and on and on. Yes, there were a number that said we simply were better, that Kumar was a stud, and that we had more talent, but they were a minority.
Bunch of scuz bags.
Commadore, I had a lot of laughs reading through that thread last night. We didn't win the game, they gave it to us. One guy even wrote, "I hate Corbin." But what was really priceless was the way they were turning on each other. Hilarious!
Locked Previous topicNext topic