A&M advance

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

moxiedore92
Captain

A&M advance

Post by moxiedore92 »

If y’all watched the Commodores first round game against A&M then you saw that they are a much better team than their record. Nice to see the team that knocks you out show they’ve got the goods to go deep in the tourney.

got moxie?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: A&M advance

Post by MikeADore »

The other two teams we beat during the regular season, Arkansas and Kentucky, also won today and advanced to the quarter finals. So, we beat three of the final eight teams left alive in the tournament. :mrgreen:

AD*
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

There’s a temporary advantage to playing the first day in that you become used to the surroundings and the jitters should be gone. Both teams that played the first day, won yesterday. Fatigue will eventually set in and when they lose, many times it’s a blowout.
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

Yes, seeing teams VU beat in the regular season advance makes me feel like this program is closer than some people might think to fully turning the corner.

Certainly depth comes into play. Timing of games/seeding. Lots of factors determine who remains standing by the weekend.
got moxie?
dunc77
Ensign

Post by dunc77 »

Ndorefin wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:25 am There’s a temporary advantage to playing the first day in that you become used to the surroundings and the jitters should be gone. Both teams that played the first day, won yesterday. Fatigue will eventually set in and when they lose, many times it’s a blowout.
With continued expansion, this will get worse. I would prefer seeing all teams play, no byes. The advantage of a high seed playing a low seed is enough of a reward. Too long, too many games you say? Too much expansion, I respond. Or maybe they should just admit that they don't want to give low seeds a chance, and limit the teams that get to participate in the tournament.

And, by the way, spend some of that profit on improving the officiating.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

are we definitely out of a possible NIT bid???
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Dore2Dore wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:49 am are we definitely out of a possible NIT bid???
Yes. Our record is not good enough this year. Last year was borderline, and I suspect the university sweetened the pot with bids to host a couple of games. The WNIT presently is a privately owned and run business, not an NCAA event. The NCAA has recently announced they will resume a WNIT-like tournament of their own in coming years. Not sure what will happen to this private, for-profit tournament we've been seeing for the past several years. There's no doubt the NCAA version will take a lot of the shine off the private one.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

Thx Mike. Appreciate your always reliability. Sad that our 2 grad transfers & Srs wont get experience post season.On to next year --- hope this incoming class has some "hit the court running" folks. Of course, a big group of healthy players for the entire season is #1. Thx all for your inputs thru the year.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Dore2Dore wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am Thx Mike. Appreciate your always reliability. Sad that our 2 grad transfers & Srs wont get experience post season.On to next year --- hope this incoming class has some "hit the court running" folks. Of course, a big group of healthy players for the entire season is #1. Thx all for your inputs thru the year.
Have you heard anything confirming the two seniors (Washington and Chambers) are definitely leaving? When praising them for their contributions, the coaches seem to be wording their remarks carefully so as not to announce one way or another what they're going to do. I don't know if that means there is some possibility they want to return or if the coaches just want to give them a chance to make their own announcement.

I've been assuming both are leaving, but I actually have no real reason to believe that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic