SEC-ACC Challenge Starts Next Season

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

SEC-ACC Challenge Starts Next Season

Post by MikeADore »

This should be fun. It replaces the SEC/Big 12 challenge and the ACC/Big 10 challenge. It's an obvious choice by ESPN to create an event to combine its two affiliate conferences for a challenge event. Big 10 and Big 12 are not ESPN affiliated conferences.

I like it because I just find ACC teams more interesting than Big 12. Proximity is probably the biggest reason. Also, the SEC has 14 teams, and the Big 12, oddly enough, only had 10 for the past few years, which meant four of the SEC teams had to sit out the challenge each season. The SEC/Big 12 event did not take place this season. Last year, we went to Kansas.

The ACC has 15 teams for basketball (subtract Notre Dame for football.) In the beginning there will be 28 games (men and women). Once the SEC adds Oklahoma and Texas by '25, there will be a 30-game event each year. I'm assuming teams will be matched according to their finish in their respective conference standings.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ops-season