Think The Starting Lineup Will Change?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Think The Starting Lineup Will Change?

Post by MikeADore »

We know coach Ralph is very unhappy with the string of slow starts her team has had. Talking about it didn't solve the problem, so I'm wondering if she'll try to shuffle the starting lineup a bit. My non-coach brain automatically goes for the simple solution--put a shooter in the lineup. Namely, Ryanne Allen for Chambers or Jada Brown. I think it could be more likely, though, that she decides to insert Bella LaChance in place of Jada Brown. The offense does seem to run a bit smoother with Bella in the game.

Normally, when you have a nine-player roster and everyone plays, it doesn't matter so much who starts. But, when your goal is to get off to a better start, it does matter. Thoughts?

DoreFan49
Chief

Re: Think The Starting Lineup Will Change?

Post by DoreFan49 »

For what its worth, I do believe the starting lineup will probably not change. I do believe Shea is confident of the defense of her starting 5. I think her concern is that the defensive effort early in the game of these 5 is not what she expects of them. When she talks about a slow start, I believe she is talking about defense not offense so replacing Jada or Yaubryon with someone with more offense will not result in the faster start she is looking for.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

DoreFan49 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:21 am For what its worth, I do, however, believe the starting lineup will probably not change. I do believe Shea is confident of the defense of her starting 5. I think her concern is that the defensive effort early in the game of these 5 is not what she expects of them. When she talks about a slow start, I believe she is talking about defense not offense so replacing Jada or Yaubryon with someone with more offense will not result in the faster start she is looking for.
I think you could very well be right. I do think, however, it's possible coach will decide to change tactics rather than tinker with the lineup. Our trapping defense was not very good against Columbia and Austin Peay. Coach noted that early in the game, Columbia was getting down the floor and shooting layups before Vandy could even get set up in its defense, so she abandoned the scheme and went man to man. The same was happening in the first half of the Austin Peay game.

We all know how important Jordyn Cambridge was to the success of our defense last season. It obviously is not as effective so far this season, though is has worked in spurts. I suspect that's how it will be deployed as we move forward--in spurts. I look for us to settle into a switching man-to-man as our go-to defense. Coach Ralph has always said she prefers man defense, but last year, with Jordyn leading the way, they found the trapping defense worked well. It's worth noting that this group has still been able to create turnovers out of the man defense, around 20 per game.

I'm not sure about St. Joseph's guards. Maybe we'll still be able to trap them. I remember last year it seemed the trapping defense wore on them as the game progressed.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Bella LaChance starting for Jada Brown.
Locked Previous topicNext topic