Vanderbilt at Columbia, 11-13-22, 1 p.m. (ESPN+)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Vanderbilt at Columbia, 11-13-22, 1 p.m. (ESPN+)

Post by MikeADore »

Columbia is tough. They’re a top-10 mid-major team that went 25-7 last season and has most of that team back. They haven’t been able to get past Princeton to get to the NCAA tourney, but they did make it to the quarter finals of the WNIT last year. With Abby Meyers finally gone from Princeton, Columbia and coach Megan Griffith are hoping this could be their year to break through and win the Ivy League. Griffith was a six-year assistant at Princeton under Courtney Banghart before returning to her alma mater to take the head coaching job seven years ago. They’re 2-0 with both wins on the road.

Columbia has four players averaging in double figures and another averaging nine. They’re led by Abbey Hsu with 16.5 ppg and Hannah Pratt at 15.5. They don’t have great size, but a lot of their players are between 5’10 and 6’1.

I’d say we’re a pretty solid underdog, so a win here would be a big feather in our cap. In trying to find a weakness, I did notice that Columbia is averaging 17 turnovers. That could be an opening if we pressure like we’re capable of doing, but with a midday game after spending a couple of days sight seeing in NYC, I wonder how focused and anxious we will be to embrace the grind. I wouldn't be shocked if we come out a bit sluggish. And, I’m not criticizing them for taking the kids out and having a good time. They even arrived a day early to have more time to see the sights. It’s exactly what they should have done.

Game link under NCAA Women's Basketball heading.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/ ... /ESPN_PLUS

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt at Columbia, 11-13-22, 1 p.m. (ESPN+)

Post by MikeADore »

Radio link:
https://vanderbilt.leanplayer.com

Need a big game from Sacha Washington today.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Getting spanked pretty good to start the game. Down 15-4. Getting out hustled on the boards.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Yikes. Has not been a good start…
A lot of standing around and not going after the rebound.
SV#
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

REBOUND THE BALL!!!!!!
SV#
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Down two at the half. Finally seemed to wake up and actually took a two-point lead in the last minute then gave up a three pointer. Haven't given up many of those, though.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Great comeback to end the first half. Terrible travel call at the end on Harbison. Won’t win this game if they don’t rebound the ball though.
SV#
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

The worst thing about that terrible call is that''s a ref looking for something to call, and that ref is still in the game. Could be a factor if it's close at the end.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

After a woeful start, this has turned into an exciting, competitive game!
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Up four after three quarters. I'm still not confident, but they've shown us something.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

This was a good win. Proud of how they fought! Columbia isn’t a cupcake team.
SV#
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

From down 11 in the early going to a 74-63 win. Coach Ralph always talks about imposing their will on other teams. Today, that took the form of getting Columbia out of rhythm on offense and rushing shots. Basically, they just looked very uncomfortable on the offensive end in the second half. Just a great win for these ladies. Columbia will be heard from as the season progresses.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Our 2 grad transfers scored half our points: experence counts. Hope the young players paid attention. Super win over a decent team on road.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoreFan49
Chief

Post by DoreFan49 »

MikeADore wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:29 pm From down 11 in the early going to a 74-63 win. Coach Ralph always talks about imposing their will on other teams. Today, that took the form of getting Columbia out of rhythm on offense and rushing shots. Basically, they just looked very uncomfortable on the offensive end in the second half. Just a great win for these ladies. Columbia will be heard from as the season progresses.
MikeADore,

It’s interesting that you mention about Shea always talking about imposing their will on other teams. In this April, 2016 article in Shea’s home town paper after Shea helped in coaching UCONN to its record breaking 4th consecutive NCAA championship, the coach who recruited her to play at UCONN Associate Head Coach Chris Dailey, the only coach in the world I believe with 12 National Championships, said that the quality in Shea that impressed her most was that Shea was (in high school) a 17 year old girl that could impose her will on the game. Sounds like Shea’s coaching philosophy is a big part of who she has been and who she is today.

Just read the first few paragraphs for Coach Dailey’s comments about Shea.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sport ... 342911007/
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

I believe we are very fortunate to have CSR leading our program. She is a class act as well. I trust her vision & decisions.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

DoreFan49 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:56 pm
MikeADore wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:29 pm From down 11 in the early going to a 74-63 win. Coach Ralph always talks about imposing their will on other teams. Today, that took the form of getting Columbia out of rhythm on offense and rushing shots. Basically, they just looked very uncomfortable on the offensive end in the second half. Just a great win for these ladies. Columbia will be heard from as the season progresses.
MikeADore,

It’s interesting that you mention about Shea always talking about imposing their will on other teams. In this April, 2016 article in Shea’s home town paper after Shea helped in coaching UCONN to its record breaking 4th consecutive NCAA championship, the coach who recruited her to play at UCONN Associate Head Coach Chris Dailey, the only coach in the world I believe with 12 National Championships, said that the quality in Shea that impressed her most was that Shea was (in high school) a 17 year old girl that could impose her will on the game. Sounds like Shea’s coaching philosophy is a big part of who she has been and who she is today.

Just read the first few paragraphs for Coach Dailey’s comments about Shea.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sport ... 342911007/
Fantastic article. Thanks for that.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Love this quote from the 2016 article about CSR: "As for branching out, she said she’ll know when the time is right, when the right situation presents itself. But leaving UConn would be tough."

Thanks for the link to a great article which ought to excite anyone with Vanderbilt women's basketball interest. Thanks DoreFan49.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Nice to see the team pull away in the fourth quarter, in a defensively dominant fashion. Could be, partially, a product of playing nine players, with all logging more than 12 minutes. I know that trend may end as the season progresses, but it has to be a good sign.

I know we shouldn't lament what could have been, but wow! Think of this team with those injured athletes who were projected to start. We'll go with what we have and just recognize the future is bright - this year and beyond. Progress. That's all I ask for.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

An unbelievable, gutsy win from our ladies. The manner in which they began playing in the first quarter, I thought they may be embarrassed by this team. They continued to scrap and fight, made a game of it in the third quarter and finished them off going away! Harbison is the real deal and took over this game. Sacha needs to learn not to pick up those early, silly fouls that takes her out of the game. I hope she soon realizes she puts us in a bad situation when she has to sit out almost half the game. Great win, ladies!!!
Locked Previous topicNext topic