Final Evaluation Period Starts Today

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Final Evaluation Period Starts Today

Post by MikeADore »

Coaches can be in the gym watching players today through Sunday. Looks like our coaches will be in four different locations along with just about every other major program. I'm thinking we have about five openings for the '23 class since Agata Makurat has filled one position. It depends how many of this year's three seniors stick around for the extra covid year. (That's for a roster of 12. We could actually have up to 15, but I doubt the coaches want to try to keep that many kids happy).

We presently have 10 known offers out there for '23, but there's no way to know how many of the early ones are still valid or if players have told us they're not coming. Maybe we aren't actively pursuing some of them anymore. The fact that we put out at least four offers last week, just four months before the early signing period, could be construed as a worrisome sign, I guess. But, maybe not. It could just be that, in a class not loaded with size, the staff took its time and dug around looking for bigs. All four of the offers last week were to players between 6'2 and 6'4, and the previous six offers we know about were to guards and wings.

If I had to guess, this weekend's evaluations probably have little to do with the '23 class. I've noticed a lot of attention on social media to players from '24, '25, '26 or even '27 classes. One thing that shocked me when I started paying attention to recruiting this summer was how much attention colleges coaches pay to kids in 7th through 9th grades. I mentioned that to someone more knowledgable about recruiting, and he said if you aren't involved with players at that age, then you're starting out a year or two behind. With that in mind, I think our staff started a bit behind with some players for the '23 class. If you look at '24, we already have offers in to the top three players in the class, four of the top 10 and five of the top 14. That seems to be the class where we've gotten in on the ground floor.

[tweet][/tweet]