Vandy Target Smya Nichols Injured

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Vandy Target Smya Nichols Injured

Post by MikeADore »

Nichols is a 6'0 wing player from Kansas who released a final eight last November that includes Vandy. She recently played on the U18 FIBA world championship team and is ranked #21 on ESPN's Hoopgurlz. She's back playing summer ball, and I came across this tweet that appears to show her wearing a pretty serious looking leg brace at a recent event. Hoping we're still in the picture with her. Very talented and athletic player. The other player mentioned and shown, Grace Slaughter, is a Missouri commit.

[tweet][/tweet]

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Vandy Target Smya Nichols Injured

Post by MikeADore »

Her group of finalists: Vandy, Tennessee, UCLA, Mississippi State, Wisconsin, Missouri, West Virginia and Kansas.

Hard to know how to feel about our chances. Kansas had a big program turnaround last year, so that could make a difference for a Kansas girl. UCLA has had a couple of great recruiting years, so they're a threat, and one of Nichols' Missouri Phenom teammates, Grace Slaughter, is committed to Missouri. Does that sway her toward the Tigers?

Mississippi State and West Virginia have changed coaches since her list came out, and the Vols seem to be relying heavily on the transfer portal these days. Only signed one scholarship player this year while adding a bunch of portal players. Wisconsin is struggling right now even more than Vandy.

I just know it would be a major get for the Dores, so fingers crossed.

AD*
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Visiting UT in the next few days. Hoping we also get a visit while she's at it. She re-tweeted this, and there is no mention of a Vandy visit on her account, so.....

[tweet][/tweet]
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Mike, Does the injury change the interest from Shea's perspective?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:53 pm Mike, Does the injury change the interest from Shea's perspective?
I can't imagine it would. She's a very good player, and coach Ralph knows better than anyone that you can recover from injury and still play at a high level. Shea's problem was that she just kept getting hurt. Five knee surgeries. It's a wonder she can get around.

Oddly, I've looked several times but have never been able to find any other mention of Nichols' injury. She was definitely wearing a big brace in that video. That was just a few weeks after she played on the USA's world championship U18 team.

Anyway, she has plenty of time to recover. If the injury is really serious, her final year of high school ball could be in jeopardy, but I'm not sure most high-level players take high school ball seriously these days.

Fingers crossed.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Nichols is on an official visit to Kansas this weekend. Had the visit in Knoxville about a month ago. She's missing her senior year with an acl, so hopefully she's just taking her time and will visit Vandy at some point.
Locked Previous topicNext topic