Gino's Post-Game Comments Last Night........

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandybrad
Commander

Gino's Post-Game Comments Last Night........

Post by vandybrad »

Listening to Geno's post-game comments last night made me wonder if this maybe it if he wins one more. He kept replying that this was so much more special than in his younger days as he didn't know when it would be his last.
That being said, would the Huskies be coming after our Coach? I hate bringing this up but wanted thoughts on the subject. Coach having played there, coached there and knowing their system inside and out, who better? I like Shea and pray that she sees a bright future here and can make Vandy into the UConn of the South in Women's basketball. I sincerely hope so.
Last edited by vandybrad on Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Gino's Post-Game Comments Last Night........

Post by Ndorefin »

I would imagine they would approach her, but I really don’t believe she would be interested at this time. I believe she wants to continue the challenge of utilizing her approach to build a winning program and what better place to do so. We have been down for a while and we have had a winning program in the past. We have a lot to offer a prospect and she can recruit good students that will fit into her system. Whoever takes over for Geno will be facing a different kind of challenge in continuing a legacy of winning national championships…that’s a tremendous amount of pressure! This year looks like it has aged Geno 10 years and it’s obvious to him it’s not getting any easier and he’s no getting younger!
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:14 pm I would imagine they would approach her, but I really don’t believe she would be interested at this time. I believe she wants to continue the challenge of utilizing her approach to build a winning program and what better place to do so. We have been down for a while and we have had a winning program in the past. We have a lot to offer a prospect and she can recruit good students that will fit into her system. Whoever takes over for Geno will be facing a different kind of challenge in continuing a legacy of winning national championships…that’s a tremendous amount of pressure! This year looks like it has aged Geno 10 years and it’s obvious to him it’s not getting any easier and he’s no getting younger!
You are correct. She would be foolish to follow him directly.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Shea should remember what happened to those who followed Bear Bryant. It was a while until Gene Stallings came along and had anything close to the same level of success. She is far better off creating her own legacy in Nashville than returning to Storrs to try to continue another's legacy.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

I agree with pretty much everything -- ie., that Gino sounded like retirement might be pretty close at hand, that if he retires, they'd look to OUR COACH, it wouldn't be a smart move for her (following a legend is never easy), she wants to build something here, SHE'S OURS, etc etc etc.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

When Shea was first hired i thought the scenario would be that Shea would spend 5 years here, get some head coaching experience , resurrect the program, and then return to UConn. It wasn't just my scenario but most UConn fans thought similarly. For all of her outstanding qualities, one thing you can count on with Shea is that she always speaks the truth. When she says Vanderbilt is her dream job, believe it. When she says I can't see myself ever leaving here, believe it. Perhaps in five years the situation has evolved and she has a different perspective. But I don't think that will be the case. In five years I expect that you and Shea will be celebrating your second straight SEC championship and breathless over a hard fought classic game against UConn in the NCAA finals. I won't divulge now who wins but remember it is my scenario. :)
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

HuskyT wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:58 am When Shea was first hired i thought the scenario would be that Shea would spend 5 years here, get some head coaching experience , resurrect the program, and then return to UConn. It wasn't just my scenario but most UConn fans thought similarly. For all of her outstanding qualities, one thing you can count on with Shea is that she always speaks the truth. When she says Vanderbilt is her dream job, believe it. When she says I can't see myself ever leaving here, believe it. Perhaps in five years the situation has evolved and she has a different perspective. But I don't think that will be the case. In five years I expect that you and Shea will be celebrating your second straight SEC championship and breathless over a hard fought classic game against UConn in the NCAA finals. I won't divulge now who wins but remember it is my scenario. :)
EDIT: And in six years UConn announces that Carla Berube will be the new head coach at The University of Connecticut
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

HuskyT wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:58 am When Shea was first hired i thought the scenario would be that Shea would spend 5 years here, get some head coaching experience , resurrect the program, and then return to UConn. It wasn't just my scenario but most UConn fans thought similarly. For all of her outstanding qualities, one thing you can count on with Shea is that she always speaks the truth. When she says Vanderbilt is her dream job, believe it. When she says I can't see myself ever leaving here, believe it. Perhaps in five years the situation has evolved and she has a different perspective. But I don't think that will be the case. In five years I expect that you and Shea will be celebrating your second straight SEC championship and breathless over a hard fought classic game against UConn in the NCAA finals. I won't divulge now who wins but remember it is my scenario. :)
I like your way of thinking ;)
SV#
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

HuskyT wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:58 am For all of her outstanding qualities, one thing you can count on with Shea is that she always speaks the truth. When she says Vanderbilt is her dream job, believe it. When she says I can't see myself ever leaving here, believe it. Perhaps in five years the situation has evolved and she has a different perspective. But I don't think that will be the case.
Perhaps I'm just a cynic (actually, I know I'm a cynic), but I truly believe that 99 coaches out of 100 who make the kind of statement she made will leave in a heartbeat if their "dream job" opens up. 80 out of 100 will leave for what they view as a significant upgrade/promotion. Maybe Coach is the 1 in 100. I hope so. I like her, a lot. But I think it's bucking the odds bigtime to think she would stay at Vandy in the circumstances you presented.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:49 pm
HuskyT wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:58 am For all of her outstanding qualities, one thing you can count on with Shea is that she always speaks the truth. When she says Vanderbilt is her dream job, believe it. When she says I can't see myself ever leaving here, believe it. Perhaps in five years the situation has evolved and she has a different perspective. But I don't think that will be the case.
Perhaps I'm just a cynic (actually, I know I'm a cynic), but I truly believe that 99 coaches out of 100 who make the kind of statement she made will leave in a heartbeat if their "dream job" opens up. 80 out of 100 will leave for what they view as a significant upgrade/promotion. Maybe Coach is the 1 in 100. I hope so. I like her, a lot. But I think it's bucking the odds bigtime to think she would stay at Vandy in the circumstances you presented.
There is plenty to choose to be cynical about. However, I think she is smarter than to follow Geno. I also tend to believe a woman saying that more than a man. Three, I just believe her. Last, sometimes building your own gig is better.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:49 pm
I agree with your comment and am so glad that you agree with me because Shea is 1 in 100. She will be able to have the UConn job on a silver platter. They will offer tons of pay, paying off the mortgage, Luxury cars for the whole family, paid off annuities, free college for her great-grandchildren. Plus every UConn fan that owns a large business will be giving her every offer for 30 min showings. But, to my chagrin, Shea picks little old Vandy. The only way she comes back to UConn is if the next coach pulls a Kevin Ollie and trashes the program. If the program is really hurting and desperate she MIGHT come back, but she won't replace Geno. Mark it down.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Your scenario works for me !
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

We've been here before as Vandy fans. To me its not a matter of believing or not believing her. Its a matter of UConn being where she came of age, spending four years playing there. She is in the hall of fame there. She spent over a decade as an assistant there. I don't understand at all the arguments that it would be foolish to follow a legend like Geno. It would be foolish not to take a good job at a place that was your home for almost 20 years.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Coach to be here forever, but its not remotely feasible that she would stay here if Geno retired and she were their first choice. Should she have some success here, just prepare yourself for that and figure out a way to be okay with it.

All that said, I don't think Geno is actually hanging it up after this year. He's got that thing rolling and there is a trend now of coaches hanging in there for a long time.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

vandy05 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:44 am We've been here before as Vandy fans. To me its not a matter of believing or not believing her. Its a matter of UConn being where she came of age, spending four years playing there. She is in the hall of fame there. She spent over a decade as an assistant there. I don't understand at all the arguments that it would be foolish to follow a legend like Geno. It would be foolish not to take a good job at a place that was your home for almost 20 years.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Coach to be here forever, but its not remotely feasible that she would stay here if Geno retired and she were their first choice. Should she have some success here, just prepare yourself for that and figure out a way to be okay with it.

All that said, I don't think Geno is actually hanging it up after this year. He's got that thing rolling and there is a trend now of coaches hanging in there for a long time.

Successful coaches are competitive. It is hard for some or many of them to let go/retire. My brother is a big UConn fan. He told me that UConn has a top rated class coming in.

My brother also told me that the odds on favorite to replace Gino when he does retire is the Princeton coach. Of course rumors are just that - rumors and speculation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic