Koi Love in Transfer Portal

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Koi Love in Transfer Portal

Post by MikeADore »

She's one of four Arizona players on the move.

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Re: Koi Love in Transfer Portal

Post by VandyWhit »

MikeADore wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:07 pm She's one of four Arizona players on the move.
It used to be really unusual if not unheard for players to transfer twice. I guess those days are gone. No surprise that I think she would have been better off staying here, but of course that's easy for me to say. Not so easy when you're young and the person who actually makes the decision.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyWhit wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:05 pm
MikeADore wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:07 pm She's one of four Arizona players on the move.
It used to be really unusual if not unheard for players to transfer twice. I guess those days are gone. No surprise that I think she would have been better off staying here, but of course that's easy for me to say. Not so easy when you're young and the person who actually makes the decision.
Unless she finds a way to be granted some sort of waiver, she's going to have to sit out a year if she transfers to another D1 school. The rule is that you get one free transfer without having to sit out. After that, it's back to the old rule. Not sure if the NCAA will even try to enforce the rules. They're pretty toothless these days.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_cen ... ansfer.pdf
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

I thought that Koi would make an instant impact with Arizona but she didn’t get much playing time. Apparently she wasn’t a good fit. Kind of wish she would have hung around but then again, would we still have Coach White???

Akira Levy (Missouri-Vandy-Cincinnati-??) back in the transfer portal. I also believe she originally signed with Western KY out of high school. That’s a lot of shuffling around.
SV#
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

think I remember that an asst coach at Az had good relationship with her during HS recruitment & that was factor in transfer there but shortly after signing/arriving(?) that asst left for another job & Koi was stuck. Agree would have perhaps had good development with CSR but as u say she may have been the "last straw" for White so if it took that for us to get CSR then so be it. Hope she lands somewhere that she will be happy.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

VandyDan78 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:13 pm I thought that Koi would make an instant impact with Arizona but she didn’t get much playing time. Apparently she wasn’t a good fit. Kind of wish she would have hung around but then again, would we still have Coach White???

Akira Levy (Missouri-Vandy-Cincinnati-??) back in the transfer portal. I also believe she originally signed with Western KY out of high school. That’s a lot of shuffling around.
Good point about the likelihood that her departure hastened the coaching change. As for Levy, wow,that's a lot of bouncing around, even for these days!
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Dore2Dore wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:50 pm think I remember that an asst coach at Az had good relationship with her during HS recruitment & that was factor in transfer there but shortly after signing/arriving(?) that asst left for another job & Koi was stuck. Agree would have perhaps had good development with CSR but as u say she may have been the "last straw" for White so if it took that for us to get CSR then so be it. Hope she lands somewhere that she will be happy.
Too bad. Maybe the NCAA should allow a player to transfer after every game, if they so wish. You know, like pick-up basketball in the neighborhood gym.
Versus75
Admiral

Enough with this WAIVER PROCESS

Post by Versus75 »

With summer school, tutoring, jock classes, etc., many athletes graduate in 3 years. I don't know if Koi has done that.

After stating that this "immediate transfer eligibility" is a one-time deal that even includes those seeking to transfer post-graduate, the NCAA backtracks with the old waiver process.

A12: Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school
would not be able to use the one-time exception as a postgraduate transfer. However, a
waiver process exists for postgraduate students with a previous transfer history.

(My emphasis)

Here we go again!

Jamaine Mann and Terren Frank on the Men's team are also seeking a second transfer. I believe they have only been in college two years. Definitely have not graduated. Will the NCAA institute a waiver process for them as well?
Locked Previous topicNext topic