Vanderbilt at LSU, 1-16-22, Noon

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Vanderbilt at LSU, 1-16-22, Noon

Post by MikeADore »

Game on SEC Network.

This one presents a couple unique challenges. First of all, it will be this team's first game in front of a big crowd, and it will not be a sympathetic one. Mulkey's arrival has folks in Baton Rouge fired up. Another challenge we haven't really seen is the Tigers have lightning quick guards who are also talented and experienced. Cherry and Pointer are grad students, Morris is a fifth-year senior and they all have jet packs strapped to their backs.

All three can absolutely fly. It will be interesting to see how our coaches choose to defend today. It seems like extending your defense could be playing right into their hands, but they can also shoot the three, so pick your poison. I'm glad I don't have to be the one to figure it out. No one really has so far. Go Dores!

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt at LSU, 1-16-22, Noon

Post by MikeADore »

Morning shoot around.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Starting in a packed-in zone
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Refs appear to be on a mission so far. Every call against us.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Down 21-15 after one quarter. Not a pace that we're going to like over a full game. Overall, playing well except too many turnovers. Already about the same as we had the entire game against UT.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Fast-paced first quarter, for sure. Kaylon Smith hit a three!
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Why do other teams not have that “rebuilding” year that we’ve had for like 5-6 years? Ugh.
SV#
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

43-36 at the half; clutch 3 just before the buzzer by Moore. Could be worse!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

I think we've played well. LSU has played very well and shot lights out.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Oh well...
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Offense will need to improve in order to win in the SEC. Gotta get more players in the scoring column.
Last edited by VandyDan78 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SV#
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

They were hot and we were cold.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

VandyDan78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:32 pm Why do other teams not have that “rebuilding” year that we’ve had for like 5-6 years? Ugh.
LSU will next year. Their roster is full of graduate seniors. Of course, with Mulky’s reputation they may acquire several transfers.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

VandyWhit wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:46 pm 43-36 at the half; clutch 3 just before the buzzer by Moore. Could be worse!
Well, that proved I was right that it could have been worse. The third quarter proved that. It was kinda like the opposite of the men's game last night, where after falling behind, they stormed out at the beginning of the 2nd half. We weren't ahead at halftime, but it still felt like we could stay in the game, but the first few minutes of the second half shot that idea out of the water.

Oh well. Despite the optimism about the new coach (which I still have, btw) we all knew there would be days like this, just like Mama said.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Mama said that TWICE (at least), according to the song.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

VandyWhit wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 pm
VandyWhit wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:46 pm 43-36 at the half; clutch 3 just before the buzzer by Moore. Could be worse!
It was kinda like the opposite of the men's game last night, where after falling behind, they stormed out at the beginning of the 2nd half.
Maybe the fact the men were facing the worst team in the league and the women were facing one of the best was a factor. Actually, I believe we just ran out of gas. I could tell Brinea and Moore were getting tired. When that happens, your shot begins to either fall short or far off target. We really need to find a way to help these ladies…..no one else is close to being a threat. I was glad to see Bella taking some shots and hitting 2 threes! They were playing so far off her, it was like she was shooting by herself. This makes the Cheesman situation all the more troubling. She is our tallest player and one of our best shooters. It’s hard to believe she could be in the doghouse that much. I thought she would be our best freshman and a starter considering her stellar high school career. Other than Brinea, Moore and Cambridge everyone else has as many if not more limitations! CSR knows best and we’ll have to defer to her expertise. Some players are good practice players and others are game players. It’s easier to be a practice player….just hustle and play hard, but in a game that doesn’t always translate into points and we need MORE POINTS!!
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm
VandyWhit wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 pm
It was kinda like the opposite of the men's game last night, where after falling behind, they stormed out at the beginning of the 2nd

Maybe the fact the men were facing the worst team in the league and the women were facing one of the best was a factor. Actually, I believe we just ran out of gas. I could tell Brinea and Moore were getting tired. When that happens, your shot begins to either fall short or far off target. We really need to find a way to help these ladies…..no one else is close to being a threat. I was glad to see Bella taking some shots and hitting 2 threes! They were playing so far off her, it was like she was shooting by herself. This makes the Cheesman situation all the more troubling. She is our tallest player and one of our best shooters. It’s hard to believe she could be in the doghouse that much. I thought she would be our best freshman and a starter considering her stellar high school career. Other than Brinea, Moore and Cambridge everyone else has as many if not more limitations! CSR knows best and we’ll have to defer to her expertise. Some players are good practice players and others are game players. It’s easier to be a practice player….just hustle and play hard, but in a game that doesn’t always translate into points and we need MORE POINTS!!
IIRC, she started early but something changed as her minutes diminished quickly. Sometimes your High school does not transition as well. The little I saw of her was that she is foot slow and not very quick. She probably started early thinking she could help as a shooter, but it became clear with the type of team they had to be be she was a liability out there. She seems like a solid citizen so attitude most likely is not the issue but I coached and taught long enough to understand that one never knows.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I agree, wholeheartedly….she’s obviously not as quick as most but that’s not the end all be all in being able to contribute to this team. There are some who may play 15-20 minutes and their contribution is difficult to determine. The fact she is getting no opportunity to contribute, with such a short bench, is baffling to me. Smith gets tired, as does Demi…..the fact their replacements never score and contribute sparingly is puzzling as she gets ZERO chance at all!
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:00 pm I agree, wholeheartedly….she’s obviously not as quick as most but that’s not the end all be all in being able to contribute to this team. There are some who may play 15-20 minutes and their contribution is difficult to determine. The fact she is getting no opportunity to contribute, with such a short bench, is baffling to me. Smith gets tired, as does Demi…..the fact their replacements never score and contribute sparingly is puzzling as she gets ZERO chance at all!
I agree it’s puzzling that she gets Zero minutes not that she just does not play much. Ralph’s short answer about her when asked adds more mystery to the situation. I was just trying to offer a possible explanation. Ralph’s answer along with zero playing time points to the real possibility it has more to do with some reason beyond just basketball. However, if that was the case she probably would not be dressed out. Maybe they want to redshirt her. It’s mysterious for sure.
Locked Previous topicNext topic