Cheesman

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Doubledore
Lieutenant

Cheesman

Post by Doubledore »

Anyone know why Cheesman did not play vs Ark? Hurt, sick or just out of rotation for that game. She is not getting much PT. I have literally not seen one game so have no idea why she is not playing more. Watching some of her old video, she seems like she may be a little slow. This team is having to play tough d to compete, so perhaps she does not fit into what they need this year.

manager65
Chief

Re: Cheesman

Post by manager65 »

Agree with your assessment about her being slow. I noticed that when I first saw her play. However, I'm pulling for her because she's a good 3pt shooter and has the ability to pull down rebounds.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Doubledore wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 am Anyone know why Cheesman did not play vs Ark? Hurt, sick or just out of rotation for that game. She is not getting much PT. I have literally not seen one game so have no idea why she is not playing more. Watching some of her old video, she seems like she may be a little slow. This team is having to play tough d to compete, so perhaps she does not fit into what they need this year.
Finally someone asked if Cheesman was injured to which coach responded simply “no she is not injured” with no further comment. I would not be surprised if she hits the transfer portal since she is not playing at all. That kind of response spells either attitude or lack of overall ability Or some of both most likely. Maybe coach just did not want to get into it but usually if a coach sees a future they will comment to some degree.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Doubledore wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:56 pm
Doubledore wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 am Anyone know why Cheesman did not play vs Ark? Hurt, sick or just out of rotation for that game. She is not getting much PT. I have literally not seen one game so have no idea why she is not playing more. Watching some of her old video, she seems like she may be a little slow. This team is having to play tough d to compete, so perhaps she does not fit into what they need this year.
Finally someone asked if Cheesman was injured to which coach responded simply “no she is not injured” with no further comment. I would not be surprised if she hits the transfer portal since she is not playing at all. That kind of response spells either attitude or lack of overall ability Or some of both most likely. Maybe coach just did not want to get into it but usually if a coach sees a future they will comment to some degree.
Agreed. I think the absence of some kind of "she's working hard every day" comment doesn't bode well for her future.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

I’d like to see her play a little more, but I guess they have their reasons? On another note, what’s up with starting Bella LaChance and giving her one minute of playing time? Am I missing something?
SV#
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

VandyDan78 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 am I’d like to see her play a little more, but I guess they have their reasons? On another note, what’s up with starting Bella LaChance and giving her one minute of playing time? Am I missing something?
I'm glad you mentioned that -- I think about it every game, but since it's at the beginning and such a small snip of the game, I forget about it by the time the game's over.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I believe LaChance starts because CSR is trying to set a tone at the beginning of the game. In my opinion, it serves 2 purposes….Bella gives tremendous effort and hustles constantly, which, indeed sets the tone, and it also keeps her dialed in, emphasizing the fact her effort is what the coach is wanting from everyone and will be rewarded. That is Bella’s role and she’s good at it. My thinking is that surely she can score or she wouldn’t have been offered a scholarship, so I would like her to be more of an offensive threat….I guess that is why she doesn’t play more.

The situation with Cheesman is disappointing. I was really hoping, judging by her success in high school would translate more at the college level. It’s obvious she can score and does a decent job of rebounding. She must be such a liability on defense, CSR doesn’t play her more. I’ve made several comments on Cheesman lack of PT and didn’t want to mention transferring, but with the coach’s response to the question, I believe Cheesman’s days are numbered unless she shows vast improvement during practice. Ironically, she is the type of player who could go somewhere like Belmont and destroy us if we play them, much like VU’s Kylee Smith who transferred to Belmont a few years ago🤔
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

I don't know. Everything I've seen, read and heard about Cheesman indicates she is a top-notch individual and teammate. It's hard to imagine she's any kind of attitude problem. As for skills, she is an elite shooter and passes it very well and is an at-least willing rebounder. She is the reigning Gatorade Player of the Year in one of the upper divisions in Florida, a state loaded with talent.

So, why is it so hard for her to get on the floor? I've thought about this some the past few weeks, and my only guess (and it is a guess) is that she's victim of the style we're forced to play. This running, jumping, scrambling defense where every possession is a gamble is just not suited for her strengths. I'm sure coach Ralph would prefer not to be forced to play this way all the time, but it's just about her only choice with this particular team. Good guards and mobile posts will make you pay for playing this style, though.

Coach has said more than once she prefers to play a straight-up man-to-man defense, but she learned early on the pressure was the best chance with this team.

Also, it seems Kendal's most natural position is the three, and that's Brinae's position. She plays long minutes, and when she does come out, it is often in exchange for more speed with Flournoy. Demi Washington is not nearly big enough to play the four in the SEC, but she is very quick and tough, which, again, makes her a fit for the pressure defense. Kendal, not so much. When we do go bigger, it's normally with Sacha Washington who is more a true post, power forward type.

I also noticed coach's answer to the question seemed a tad abrupt, but I wonder if she felt it was a question about why a player wasn't playing more. Coaches don't like questions about playing time. So, she kept the answer short and straight to the point: "No, she's not injured."

I don't really know. I hope they aren't at cross purposes because I think Cheesman has skills that could help an offensively challenged team. And, we are that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic