I'm just about to bust!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

HuskyT
Ensign

I'm just about to bust!

Post by HuskyT »

I've got to say it! I told ya so!

I told you the kind of team you were going to have this year. They are disciplined and scrappy. They won't quit and they won't back down. They are going to play good sound basketball and even in defeat, even if a beat down comes, you will not be ashamed of this team.

What I find hard to believe is how quickly Shea has integrated into this team. I am so very impressed with your head coach. I used to be impressed with the lady. Now I am so impressed.

And you know, from hearing her talk she loves Vandy more than she thought she would. It appears yo u have reawakened the southern girl in her and she may be home forever and that makes me sad because I know Geno won't be around for too very much longer.

Congratulations to all of you!

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: I'm just about to bust!

Post by MikeADore »

This is one "I told ya so" I'm happy to hear. And, yes, you did tell us. SV#
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Just wait till she has a team full of her recruits, but a good coach can do as she has so far - build a competitive group with anyone's recruits
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

It's my humble opinion, that because Shea was integral in the recruiting of the very top 2023, 24 and 25 recruits Vandy's rapid ascension up the ranks will give some nosebleeds. Shea has everything in which to recruit; a Vandy education, UConn level coaching, state of the art facilities (soon) and the coolest town in the south. Just one thing is missing, a rabid fan base that will fill the arena with noise.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I HOPE more than anything this confidence will be rewarded. I wonder if this program will ever be better than it has been the last 5-6 seasons. They are losing by what looks to be 30 points of more to a team that had 16 TOs in the FIRST QUARTER.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm I HOPE more than anything this confidence will be rewarded. I wonder if this program will ever be better than it has been the last 5-6 seasons. They are losing by what looks to be 30 points of more to a team that had 16 TOs in the FIRST QUARTER.

I watched the Arizona game on replay, and watched much of the Rutgers game live. I missed the Depaul game, but the team I saw in games 1 and 2 is much better than any team from the last several seasons. I think Coach SR has made a lot of progress in a relatively short period of time. They are an exciting team to watch and easy to root for. Hopefully the turnover barrage can be corrected.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm I HOPE more than anything this confidence will be rewarded. I wonder if this program will ever be better than it has been the last 5-6 seasons. They are losing by what looks to be 30 points of more to a team that had 16 TOs in the FIRST QUARTER.
What kind of a fan are you??? If you can’t see a difference between this team and teams of the past, you need to become a So Carolina fan…..they may meet your expectations! CSR has not recruited any of these players and she has them playing their hearts out. I stated if they win 10 games, she should be coach of the year, but with the effort I saw this week, this team won’t disappoint when it comes to expectations and they will surprise a few! AD* or Go Away!
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

ND, that's why i have you on ignore. If this program had improved as much as claimed over the last 20 years, they would be in the WNBA finals.

I don't think realizing this team is terrible makes me a bad fan. I want them to win. But they are not better than under White or Balcomb's last few years.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:08 am ND, that's why i have you on ignore. If this program had improved as much as claimed over the last 20 years, they would be in the WNBA finals.

I don't think realizing this team is terrible makes me a bad fan. I want them to win. But they are not better than under White or Balcomb's last few years.

I certainly agree that having a less-than-rosy view of a team and/or a coach doesn't mean that someone isn't a fan or is a bad fan!

But I think it's premature to reach a definitive judgement on how this team compares with other Vandy WBB over the past five years or so. I think most of the comments here so far have recognized some really good stretches of bball, some really bad, and a lot in between. I think most of the positivity comes from the perception of better team cohesion and better defense than in recent years and the perception that the team has improved noticeably over the first few weeks of this season.

At least, that's true for me. I feel more optimistic about this team's prospects over the course of the upcoming season than I did at any point during White's tenure, so possibly later on I'll be ready to argue that this year's team is better than other VU teams in the past few years, but I think it's way too early for me t do that now.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

I will say that I am already seeing an improvement in the coaching department. They seem to be “clicking” better than any time during the White-era. I was a fan of the Stephanie White hire. Change was definitely needed at that time. I was disappointed to see that she didn’t seem to understand how to develop a player. (One example: Lea Lea Carter) I started thinking after year two that maybe Stephanie needed those already seasoned players to coach (WNBA)

As far as the past few days, I believe playing 3 games in 3 days with the kind of defense they are throwing at their opponents just wore them out. We saw it yesterday. I still take this trip to the islands as a positive step in the right direction. We have a quality coach who has learned from the best. I love the excitement on the bench!

Sorry, I know I veered off topic and rambling on… just wanted to throw my two cents out there. 😉
SV#
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Ndorefin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:57 pmWhat kind of a fan are you???...you need to become a So Carolina fan
I'm the kind of fan that has owned season tickets since the very first season they were available. At one time 6. How many & long have you had them.? I have traveled to a dozen or more NCAA tourneys. I was at the Final 4. Were you?

Now i find out if i'm not happy being the worst team in the league (in addition to the same in FB & MBB) i'm a bad fan. How stupid i feel. This fanbase has a loser mentality- they HATE James Franklin- and deserve what they get.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Sorry, Go Vandy!…..I have you on ignore!🙄
Locked Previous topicNext topic