Vandy vs. Rutgers, Noon Today on ESPN3

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Vandy vs. Rutgers, Noon Today on ESPN3

Post by MikeADore »

Going into the tourney, this is the game I thought we had the best chance to win, But, they battled Depaul right down to the wire yesterday just as we did against Arizona. So, I'm not sure what to think about Rutgers.

One thing I know is they are tough. They press full court man-to-man from start to finish and want to get out and run. They're not huge, but they're quick and active.

My biggest fear (it's what I do with Vandy's team...I worry) is that the Lady Dores will suffer a big emotional let down after putting in such a great effort and losing a heartbreaker yesterday.

Rutgers is coached by C. Vivian Stringer, but she is not with them this year because of Covid concerns. She's 73, but her concerns go beyond self preservation. She is a caretaker for a daughter who is chronically ill. Rutgers recently signed her to a five-year extension, which will take her up to age 78 if she wishes to stay in the game that long.

One more thing: In order to balance the karmic scales, Brinae Alexander needs to lay about 30 on Rutgers. It was against them two years ago in the Bahamas that she tore her achilles. It wasn't Rutgers' fault, but some times karma just reaches out and touches whoever is near.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Vandy vs. Rutgers, Noon Today on ESPN3

Post by Go Vandy! »

Mike, I appreciate all you do for this board, how committed you are to this team, how much info you give us, that, frankly, we might not otherwise get. MY bone to pick is a tiny, tiny, fish bone that if you swallow, you'd probably never notice.

WBB has not had "Lady" in its name since Jim Foster's first season. (That's all. May the flaming commence.)
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:41 am Mike, I appreciate all you do for this board, how committed you are to this team, how much info you give us, that, frankly, we might not otherwise get.
Thanks!
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Wow, you must be psychic! I was wondering if Vivian Stringer is still coaching Rutgers because she usually puts a ferocious defensive team on the court, but I was too lazy to look it up - and you answered the question for me!

Maybe I've become a raging optimist in my old age, but I don't expect a letup. We just aren't looking like that kind of a team. Our offense may struggle more than usual because of the defense, and tired legs may catch up with us tomorrow, but I expect a solid effort today.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyWhit wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:36 am Wow, you must be psychic! I was wondering if Vivian Stringer is still coaching Rutgers because she usually puts a ferocious defensive team on the court, but I was too lazy to look it up - and you answered the question for me!

Maybe I've become a raging optimist in my old age, but I don't expect a letup. We just aren't looking like that kind of a team. Our offense may struggle more than usual because of the defense, and tired legs may catch up with us tomorrow, but I expect a solid effort today.
Coach did spread out the minutes a bit more yesterday with LaChance even getting some valuable minutes. She played well. I'm assuming she'll probably try to play 11 again today.

By the way, Whit, those announcers said we only brought 10 players, which we determined yesterday was not correct since 11 played. Also, I'm almost sure I saw Asha Taylor on the bench in one of the photos, which would mean 12 players at least. I don't know what those guys thought they heard. Maybe coach mentioned she wanted to play 10, and they thought that's all she had,

Anyway, turnovers could be the difference today. Easy shots won't be there, but we at least need to get shots.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Gotta fix the turnovers. Many only mildly forced, such as “bounce” passes to a teammate’s feet.

Hopefully, Rutgers isn’t as tall and won’t block 8 shots today.

It’s a testament to how strong Arizona’s team is that Koi Love only played 3:14 … and Vanderbilt’s resurgence that we played that team to the wire.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Game link. Probably won't go live until a few minutes before game time.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... 9e305c2725
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

14-5 Vandy at the end of 1Q. No sign of a letdown!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking good. Up by double digits sat the half. Our defense is suffocating. Once they get the offense clicking batter, watch out!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

I wasn't expecting a letdown, but I never ever have guessed that the halftime score would be anything remotely like a 26-8 Vanderbilt lead. Holding a team to 8 points in a half? Darn good.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Defense, again, is impressive to watch. I must say, I am a little shocked at how quickly this team seems to have “gelled”. It’s been fun watching them so far this season. If they can keep up these type of performances, they could shock a few teams this year… hell, they almost did yesterday!
SV#
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Could holding a team to 8 points in a half be a school record? I think I remember holding LSU to 9 points in the first half in an SECT games, possibly in the Zuzi era, but offhand I don't recall any lower point totals.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vandy wins 51-40!
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Vandy wins 51-40, way to go, team! Enjoy the W, rest up and go get 'em tomorrow.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Good W! & yesterday not a bad loss at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

I think our team has made remarkable progress in just a couple of weeks. Now I'm worried about them peaking too soon. :lol:
Locked Previous topicNext topic