We Need To Get This One

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

We Need To Get This One

Post by MikeADore »

To state the obvious, this game matters in a lot of different ways, not the least of which is the fact that this appears to be a team we can beat. They're not really bigger than us. We appear to have a slight advantage in athleticism, but they did get a full season in last year and appear to be more game ready out of the gate this season than Vandy. Also, they can shoot it, and, so far, we've struggled some with that.

Tech is 2-0 with blowout wins over Bethel and UT-Chattanooga. I watched most of that 27-point win over Chattanooga. The Mocs are not a powerhouse, but I expected a better game on their own floor. Tech pretty much just shot them out of the game early.

If coach Ralph get the same defensive effort from her team that she got in Murfreesboro, I have to think we'll be OK. Surely we'll shoot it better tonight than we did Monday. Won't we? :?

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Re: We Need To Get This One

Post by VandyWhit »

MikeADore wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:44 pm To state the obvious, this game matters in a lot of different ways, not the least of which is the fact that this appears to be a team we can beat. They're not really bigger than us. We appear to have a slight advantage in athleticism, but they did get a full season in last year and appear to be more game ready out of the gate this season than Vandy. Also, they can shoot it, and, so far, we've struggled some with that.

Tech is 2-0 with blowout wins over Bethel and UT-Chattanooga. I watched most of that 27-point win over Chattanooga. The Mocs are not a powerhouse, but I expected a better game on their own floor. Tech pretty much just shot them out of the game early.

If coach Ralph get the same defensive effort from her team that she got in Murfreesboro, I have to think we'll be OK. Surely we'll shoot it better tonight than we did Monday. Won't we? :?
I surely hope so! It would be an improvement to get our FG% up to a modest 40% and 3pt up to a modest 30%. So would TOs under 20 and more than 10 assists.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Tenn Tech at 6 p.m.

Post by VandyWhit »

I just reminded myself it's an early start time!
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

So far so good, 5 min left in Q1, Vandy leading 23-9, with Vandy on an 18-0 run!
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Tenn Tech 11-18-2021

Post by VandyWhit »

Halftime score 34-20, Vandy with 8 TOs and 9 assists -- I like! Also shooting 52% from the field (I like) with TTU shooting 36%. I'm still seeing more point-blank missed shots than I'd like, but it sure looks better so far!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Defense looks really good. Can't let up, though. Tech can get back in it in a hurry.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Early TO
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

I don't feel the least bit confident..lol.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

And so we did! 75-55 VU win. 50% FG%, 40% 3pt%,16 assists, 14 TOs, 4 players in double figures. Very encouraging!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Freshmen scored 34 of the 75 points.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Nice job, ladies!!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral