Hey HuskyT....

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Hey HuskyT....

Post by MikeADore »

How about swinging by and giving us the scoop on Saylor Poffenbarger. I know she is in the portal from UConn. I know she's a very talented 6'2 freshman. I know she's a shooter. I know she has a foot/leg injury right now. I know Shea Ralph was one of her main recruiters.

Roster wise, right now we have one opening, but for next season someone would have to transfer to create a spot. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happens. It appears to be the new norm.

So, what say you? AD*

HuskyT
Ensign

Re: Hey HuskyT....

Post by HuskyT »

Saylor is a great player and great kid. She's a great teammate and really liked by the ret of the team. Very coachable. She is a top level shooter regularly scoring from the logo. She entered school in January and played in about 6 games. She shot poorly and it was discovered she had a hairline fracture in her back. She had to rest. Then this summer she had an issue with foot and now it is a shin problem. so she was a bit snake bit. I imagine she was depressed because she couldn't play. She saw others practicing and getting better and felt she was sliding out of the picture. She will stay in school this semester and transfer out after finals. She cannot play for anyone this year. Which is good it gives her time to heal and get back into shape. She definitely has all conference potential. Shea was her first contact at UConn and I am sure she has Saylor's contact info. She was rated #6 by prospect nation and #11 by Blue Star.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

She will still have 4 years of eligibility remaining entering the fall. I don’t believe she was happy in Storrs as it’s fairly isolated. Her mother stated she didn’t find the academic side “engaging” and she is a very social person. I believe VU and Nashville would be a perfect fit for her…..a really solid get for CSR!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

HuskyT wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm Saylor is a great player and great kid. She's a great teammate and really liked by the ret of the team. Very coachable. She is a top level shooter regularly scoring from the logo. She entered school in January and played in about 6 games. She shot poorly and it was discovered she had a hairline fracture in her back. She had to rest. Then this summer she had an issue with foot and now it is a shin problem. so she was a bit snake bit. I imagine she was depressed because she couldn't play. She saw others practicing and getting better and felt she was sliding out of the picture. She will stay in school this semester and transfer out after finals. She cannot play for anyone this year. Which is good it gives her time to heal and get back into shape. She definitely has all conference potential. Shea was her first contact at UConn and I am sure she has Saylor's contact info. She was rated #6 by prospect nation and #11 by Blue Star.
Thanks. I know better than to get my hopes up about such things, but it doesn't hurt to dream a little. I can close my eyes and see her, Kendal Cheesman, Brylee Bartram and Ryanne Allen on the floor at the same time bombing away from long distance.

She really put herself in a tough position last year, though I understand why. Her high school season was cancelled, and she was academically eligible to move on to college, so, she dropped right into UConn at midseason. That's a tough thing to do anywhere, but it has to be tougher to try that in one of the best programs in the country. Being a freshman in a program like that is tough under the best of circumstances, but to join in when they are in midseason stride is virtually impossible.

Anyway, from everything I've read, she is a great kid. I'm sure half the country has been in contact with her or will soon be. She can afford to take her time.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Word is she's on an official visit to Arkansas this weekend.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

She committed to Arkansas. According to an article on an Arkansas website I read a few days ago, Poffenbarger's god sister is an assistant coach for the Razorbacks. I've never heard that term before, but I assume it means the assistant coach is the daughter of Saylor's god parents. Anyway, seems pretty inevitable that's where she would end up. If she can get healthy and run the floor like Arkansas does, she can be a big-time player in Mike Neighbors' offense. He wants them to run to an open spot and let it fly. Great system for a shooter.
Locked Previous topicNext topic