Florida Womens Basketball

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Florida Womens Basketball

Post by Ndorefin »

I apologize if this topic has been posted, but I haven’t seen it. It appears there was a lot going on inside UF’s program and Newbauer resigned over the summer after signing an extension. The charges go back soon after he first arrived and this charge finally was the end of his tenure. I had no idea this was going on and I try to maintain some attachment to all SEC sports, but this one slipped by me. Attached is a link to the article, but this appears to have been the final straw. I heard nothing about this type of behavior at Belmont and thought he might be successful at UF…but alas!

https://www.si.com/college/florida/bask ... basketball

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Florida Womens Basketball

Post by Seadog73 »

WOW. Just Wow. That guy should never coach again, if only half of what was reported is true.
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

Crazy stuff. I remember being aware that he was leaving Florida, but I certainly wasn't aware of the pattern of behavior described in the article. He'd been mentioned on this message board as a possible future coach for VU WBB, and at that point, I certainly hadn't ever picked up any whisperings of that kind of behavior at Belmont.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

There is no way if he acted that way at Fl that he didn’t act like that at Belmont. Curious why none of this came out at Belmont. They hated to see him leave if I recall. By her accusations happening in front of so many players and coaches, it seems that her charges should be easily verifiable. Not to say every word of this isn’t correct, but most of the time there are two sides of the story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Her accounts of attempted suicides over the actions of a coach are pretty serious accusations. TN should have had multiple suicide attempts from those playing for Pat as much as she shamed those players. I was a bit surprised there was not more corroboration about this by others in the article. Also surprised if this was as bad as was claimed that FL would not have cut bait with the entire staff. Also seems curious if the assistant was such an enabler and seen as protective of the head coach that the entire team returned to play for her. Lots of peculiarities with the whole situation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic