Recruiting Rundown

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Recruiting rundown

Post by Nashmann »

VandyWhit wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:45 am
Nashmann wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:17 am Is there a list of current '22 signees somewhere? I can't find it...
Are you asking about players graduating from high school in 2022 who have signed with Vanderbilt? If so . .

https://vucommodores.com/the-inaugural-class/
Thx this is what I wanted :)

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
indysog03
Ensign

Post by indysog03 »

vandyfan52 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:17 am Haylen Ayers (daughter of Ashley Mcelhiney Ayers) (2027), 5’10 G, Jackson, TN
If you'd've told me that anyone from the '03 class would have a daughter who was 5'10" by the time they were 13-14, I would've bet the mortgage it would have been Chantelle rather than Ashley Mac.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Cierra Toomey has reportedly suffered a torn acl and mcl during her high school tournament, ending her junior year. Obviously, this will also keep her from playing summer ball this year. You have to wonder if her senior year of high school ball will be threatened. I'm sure all eight of the schools in her final eight, including Vandy, will stand by their offers regardless of when she returns. Most folks seem to think she'll pick UConn, but she has also had an unofficial visit at North Carolina. No word about Vandy. Best of luck to her whatever she chooses to do. She's very good and very young. She should be able to bounce back fine.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

MikeADore wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:42 am If my calculations are right, Ayers is a seventh-grader this year. Do yo know whether White made the offer or Ralph? Either way, she must have a lot of her mama's attitude and ability. I loved watching Ashley play.
If she is half the player her mom was, she's a must have recruit.

Ashley McIlhaney wasn't "the best" player we ever had in our program, but she may have been the most important. Ultimate glue player. Played 40 minutes often times if I recall. Set the table. She probably had more impact on the games she played in than the "better" players around her that gained more recognition.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

Saw Ashley, her hubby, & dtr at SEC tourney after heartbreaking loss to Fla; dtr "looks" like a ballpayer; loved watching her Mom guide those great teams - very smart point guard; Haylen seems highly rated at this point so who knows; feel Ashley & hubby will look at whats best for her overall & definitely coaching stability (the hurt we saw in Ashley & Chantelle when Foster left abruptly before their Sr season was tough). Think is important that CSR continues to promote the "we love Vanderbilt & plan on being here a long time" for all future recruits. I do believe her.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

I once saw Ashley, when she was a senior, at WB Target. She was squatting down, checking out the bottom shelf in the Cosmetics section.
I did not say hi bc I figured she was too busy lol.
Last edited by zhanglini on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@AD
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

Ashley was one of the best players that we ever had, what a great leader, I wish that our current coach (who I think will be very good) would bring her back to some games for a halftime celebration of her great play and leadership on the court.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Georgia point guard Diana Collins ('23) has re-opened her recruitment after committing to Georgia a few weeks ago. She had a Vandy offer. It will be interesting to see if Joani Taylor offers her at A&M. Collins obviously re-opened things when Taylor announced she was leaving Georgia.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Janae Kent, 6'0 G/F from Illinois, committed this morning to LSU. I only mention this because she received a Vanderbilt offer from coach White a month before she was fired. No evidence coach Ralph followed up on that offer, though.
vandyfan52
Ensign

Post by vandyfan52 »

Ciera Toomey is announcing her decision tonight:

https://twitter.com/cieratoomey/status/ ... f_lqHvXiig

We did make her list of eight finalists. However, it does not look good for us as I do not believe that she has made a visit. My guess would be either UConn or UNC as she has visited each school.
Fingers crossed though and hoping that we can get a big commitment soon.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Ciera Toomey

Post by Versus75 »

Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Banghart is killing it in recruiting at UNC. I don’t know whether we turned her down in favor of White or whether she withdrew her name not wanting the job, but UNC is becoming a power again. I am happy with our coach and it will take her a while to figure out recruiting to an unusual situation at VU, but I believe she will get it done. The key is to get that anchor recruit which Toomey could have been. A big recruit like that needs to see more history with a coach before they will make a move.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Recruiting Rundown

Post by MikeADore »

As vandyfan52 pointed out a few days ago, one of our most recent offers was to Julianna LaMendola out of Texas. She has now committed to Indiana, so no dice there. Also, ESPN has now released updated and expanded class rankings for '23 and '24. The '23 list expanded from 60 to 100 players with LaMendola listed at number 84.

Also, former target Diana Collins has been back on the market for about a month after de-committing from Georgia when Joni Taylor left for A&M. Checked on her yesterday and saw she has newer offers from A&M (and Taylor), Georgia (and their new coach), Georgia Tech and Southern Cal. Not sure where Vandy stands in terms of an offer to Collins, who is set to start workouts with the Swedish national team on June 15. As far as I can tell, she's the only high school player invited to the workouts. She is playing on the same AAU team with Chloe Kitts, the post/wing player ranked 17 in ESPN's list. Collins is 5'6 and said to be something of a ninja on defense. She's 67 on ESPN's list.

Mjracle (Miracle) Sheppard, a 5'9 point guard from Montverde Academy in Florida, is listed right behind LaMendola on the ESPN rankings at 85. The TV announcers said during a game a few weeks ago that she has offers from Vandy, Florida and Western Kentucky, but that her recruitment is "picking up."
Last edited by MikeADore on Tue May 24, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Agata Makurat, a 6'2 shooting guard from Poland (class of '23) has a Vandy offer and made an official visit last weekend. Foreign players are not listed in ESPN's Hoopgurlz rankings. The following is a list of known Vandy offers for '23 and '24 and where they presently rank on ESPN as well as where they ranked when vandyfan52 started this thread:

Vandy Targets in Class of ’23 per ESPN
S’Mya Nichols 21 (up from 33)
Chloe Clardy 28 (up from 41)
Diana Collins 67 (not on previous list)
Mjracle Sheppard 85 (not on previous list) I believe it’s a Ralph offer but not 100% certain
Jordy Griggs 86 (not on previous list)
Cori Allen 93 (down from 50 in previous rankings)

Class of ’24 (only top 60 listed)
Joyce Edwards 1 (stayed same)
Jaloni Cambridge 2 (same)
Olivia Olson 3 (same)
Kateryna Koval 20 (not on previous list)
Kennedy Ume 27 (not on previous list)
Ella Hobbs 40 (down from 16)
Ava Watson 41 (down from 15)
Chloe Spreen Not listed (down from 21) This makes no sense and makes me wonder if it’s some sort of oversight. When the list was only 25 players, Spreen was at 21. Now with a list of 60, she’s nowhere to be seen. She has offers from Arizona, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Depaul, Marquette, Florida State and Vandy in addition to others. Looks like she had a great sophomore year in high school play, so, makes no sense she would drop this far.
Last edited by MikeADore on Wed May 25, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vandyfan52
Ensign

Post by vandyfan52 »

Thanks MikeADore... I try to keep the original post in this thread as updated as possible so many thanks for all of your help!!! My fingers are crossed that we soon start landing a few of these prospects on the list!!!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

A highlight compilation of Agata Makurat as a U16 player. Definitely has some skills. You could see her really blossoming when she gets into a college environment with the intense practices and physical training. Great passer, and maybe my favorite thing about her, likes to start on the perimeter and use her body to work her way to the basket. Seems to like contact. Maybe a product of growing up playing against two older sisters?

Apparently, Vandy, Georgia Tech and Miami were the only schools she and her family visited before returning to Poland. Can't help but feel like we have a good chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEPdCbIIKg
DoreFan49
Chief

Post by DoreFan49 »

What a difference a year of success and experience makes in the number of top quality recruits. The difficulty of this coaching staff with balancing the need for rapid and quality player development to turn the struggling program around and the need to recruit top quality recruits for the very bright future of the program has been a very difficult and almost impossible task. Playing a very big SEC away game on a Thursday followed by another important SEC game at home on Sunday with a trip to watch a recruit play in a high school game on Friday makes for a frustrating experience for the coaching staff. How do you develop your players during the season, get ready for the next big game, and handle all the very important and necessary recruiting trips and do all of those thing well?

Looking in from the outside, I see three things that have facilitated this turnaround. First of all, we have a great coaching staff who are the best in WCBB in player development and recruiting. Secondly, the hiring of Kyla Irwin as the Director of Player Development and Community Relations. Her personal skills and basketball knowledge have been very instrumental in the rapid and amazing development of the players. In particular, the development of Jordan, Sasha, and Ayana was absolutely amazing! The third key to the turnaround was the mid season hiring of Koko Nelson as Director of Recruiting. In only 4 months, we have seen the most phenomenal increase in the number and quality of the recruits being considered for the future of this program. This new position relieves the coaching staff and especially Ashley of the dilemma of being asked to do the impossible (develop the players and prepare for the next big game while being responsible for recruiting).

Also, credit needs to go to President Diermeier, Athletic Director Candice Storey Lee, and Deputy Athletic Director Kristene Kelly. Without all their support in the hiring of this amazing staff none of this would be possible.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

[quote=MikeADore post_id=174786 time=1653425701 user_id=138]
Agata Makurat, a 6'2 shooting guard from Poland (class of '23) has a Vandy offer and made an official visit last weekend. Foreign players are not listed in ESPN's Hoopgurlz rankings. The following is a list of known Vandy offers for '23 and '24 and where they presently rank on ESPN as well as where they ranked when vandyfan52 started this thread:

Mjracle Sheppard 85 (not on previous list) I believe it’s a Ralph offer but not 100% certain
Last edited by Ndorefin on Sun May 29, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

MikeADore wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:55 pm Agata Makurat, a 6'2 shooting guard from Poland (class of '23) has a Vandy offer and made an official visit last weekend. Foreign players are not listed in ESPN's Hoopgurlz rankings. The following is a list of known Vandy offers for '23 and '24 and where they presently rank on ESPN as well as where they ranked when vandyfan52 started this thread:

Class of ’24 (only top 60 listed)
Joyce Edwards 1 (stayed same)
Jaloni Cambridge 2 (same)
Olivia Olson 3 (same)
Kateryna Koval 20 (not on previous list)
Kennedy Ume 27 (not on previous list)
Ella Hobbs 40 (down from 16)
Ava Watson 41 (down from 15)
Chloe Spreen Not listed (down from 21) This makes no sense and makes me wonder if it’s some sort of oversight. When the list was only 25 players, Spreen was at 21. Now with a list of 60, she’s nowhere to be seen. She has offers from Arizona, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Depaul, Marquette, Florida State and Vandy in addition to others. Looks like she had a great sophomore year in high school play, so, makes no sense she would drop this far.
I like to check the rankings in Blue Star. I believe that generally they are more accurate than Olson or HG. On Bluestar Watson is ranked 13, Spreen is 16 and Hobbs is 30. The experts at Blue Star and the Vandy coaching staff seem a bit more aligned in their evaluations.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I see no mention of 6’5” post player, Del Rosario, from the Webb School in Bell Buckle, Tn. It appears she would be an obvious target since she moved to Tennessee to play at the Webb School and is interested in Engineering!
Locked Previous topicNext topic