Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.

Adam Sparks - coaching possibilities

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

vandywbbfan
Rear Admiral

Re: Adam Sparks - coaching possibilities

Post by vandywbbfan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Yes, there are some interesting names for sure. I’ll be interested to see where this goes or if they would even consider hiring a male coach. Personally I am not interested in the Insells or Carolyn Peck.
1 x

vandyfan52
Chief

Post by vandyfan52 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 am

Thanks so much for posting this link but I could not open it because you need a paid subscription.
Can someone elaborate on who was mentioned in the article? I am guessing some of the names overlap with the ones articulated in The Hustler article?
Thanks for any information.
1 x

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 am

vandyfan52 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 am
Thanks so much for posting this link but I could not open it because you need a paid subscription.
Can someone elaborate on who was mentioned in the article? I am guessing some of the names overlap with the ones articulated in The Hustler article?
Thanks for any information.
Yes, please list names.
0 x

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:57 am

OK, here are his names. Take it for what it's worth . . . .

Carla Berube - head coach Princeton
Kelly Bond-White - assoc Texas A&M
Jenny Boucek - asst Dallas Mavericks
Bart Brooks - head coach Belmont
Mark Campbell - Oregon assoc Coach
Mary Taylor Cowles - Ensworth HS coach, former WKU coach
Erin Dickerson - asst Wake Forest
Lindsay Edmons- assoc NC State
Lacey Goldwire - UT recruiting coordinator
Matt Insell - asst MTSU
Rick Insell - head coach MTSU
Carrie Moore - asst UNC
Cameron Newbauer - head coach Florida
Stephanie Norman - assoc Louisville
Kate Paye - asst Stanford
Carolyn Peck
Shannon Perry-LeBeauf - assoc UCLA
Kim Rosamond - head coach TN Tech
Coquese Washington - assoc Notre Dame
1 x

Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 am

Thankfully, Sparks narrowed the list to a manageable 19. I predict None-of-the-Above.

P.S.: The Sparks article loaded for me. Perhaps you have viewed too many Tennessean articles and were blocked. If you clear your cache you should be able to read a few more for free. Some articles require subscription; this one does not appear to be in that category.
0 x

vandyfan52
Chief

Post by vandyfan52 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:32 am

Thanks so much, Vandywhit for the list!
Some of the names make sense and some do not to me but that is expected and was hoping to see a couple from The Hustler article mentioned as well (Amaka Agugua-Hamilton and Michelle Clark-Heard). Unfortunately, with our late timing, we lost out on two potential options (Johnnie Harris and Tina Langley) but both The Hustler and Sparks’ lists prove there are still many capable coaches out there for us.
If I could just add a few names, I hope it is alright. It would include Beth Cunningham (ND background and very experienced), Megan Duffy (only two years at Marquette but with good pedigree and young like Agugua-Hamilton), Gail Goestenkors (this might be controversial but her past success at Duke cannot be denied), and Shea Ralph (most likely a total reach but fun and nice fact that she is married to our old assistant, Tom Garrick).
Speaking of other connections, I did not realize that Mark Campbell, who has been very successful as an Associate Coach and recruiter at Oregon, is married to Ashley Smith (our old point guard from Jim Foster days). Also, I do not know if it would be viewed as a positive or negative in that Stephanie Norman and Kim Rosamond both worked under Balcomb. However, their more recent success cannot be denied. Lastly, would not mind seeing Ashley Earley come back here in some capacity.
1 x

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Can we get a proven head coach,? That reduces risk and uncertainty cause there is evidence of doing the job. Our best coaches have had head coaching experience like Corbin, McDonald (W tennis) and Soccer. Of course there was Bryce and Bobby Johnson so not a sure thing. Still I think we should try and get a proven, successful head coach if we can.
0 x

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pm

I'm not usually one to express a preference one way or another regarding whether a coaching candidate should have prior head coaching experience, but in this case I'll make an exception.

This program needs a total rebuild and a complete culture change. It would be ideal to be hire someone who is a proven program builder and not just simply a good coach.
2 x

4Dores
Seaman

Post by 4Dores » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 pm

I think we go with the best coach for our academic environment. I don’t think we have the luxury of getting a proven program builder or established head coach l. We may get one but for some coaches Vanderbilt not ideal because the SEC is already stacked with good teams and the academic requirements make it a little
More difficult to get the talent. there is momentum building since the new renovations for WBB are happening and CSL can show evidence of support.
0 x

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:30 am

AuricGoldfinger wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pm
I'm not usually one to express a preference one way or another regarding whether a coaching candidate should have prior head coaching experience, but in this case I'll make an exception.

This program needs a total rebuild and a complete culture change. It would be ideal to be hire someone who is a proven program builder and not just simply a good coach.
That's a big ask, but hopefully our AD and our recently announced major fund-raising/upgrades plan will give us a boost.
0 x

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 am

VandyWhit wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:30 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pm

That's a big ask, but hopefully our AD and our recently announced major fund-raising/upgrades plan will give us a boost.
It is, but I'm also not necessarily talking about someone who is a power conference head coach. I just believe strongly that someone who is a current college head coach at any level is more likely to have demonstrated the ability to build culture.
0 x

buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am

Because a women's player can't expect to get paid 8 figures to play professional basketball, they tend to appreciate the opportunities a good degree provides. We will always have an advantage in that regard. Hiring the right person is difficult. I'll be curious what ADCSL comes up with this time. I'm certainly on board with her last hire.
1 x

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am

I also think the opportunity for a coach to work for an AD who was herself a former basketball player may be an advantage. There aren't many of those in Division I.
2 x

VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:37 am

buffy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am
Because a women's player can't expect to get paid 8 figures to play professional basketball, they tend to appreciate the opportunities a good degree provides. We will always have an advantage in that regard. Hiring the right person is difficult. I'll be curious what ADCSL comes up with this time. I'm certainly on board with her last hire.
I don't think that's as much of an advantage as it was before the WNBA came into existence. Back in the olden days, if a young woman wanted to play professionally, her only real option was to go abroad. Back in those days -- pre-1996 -- international telecommunications wasn't what it was today. Monica in the old classic "Love and Basketball" gives a little insight into that.

Nowadays, I'd wager that most talented high school players are dreaming about playing professionally here in the states and schools which give them the best chance for exposure is a priority. Unfortunately, that isn't us at this point -- but Stanford is. So Stanford is going to get the pick of recruits who want both WNBA exposure and a prestigious degree, with Duke (though it's slipped a bit in recent years) the second choice. Hopefully the program will get back on track and our stock will rise sooner rather than later.
0 x

Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 am

AuricGoldfinger wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am
I also think the opportunity for a coach to work for an AD who was herself a former basketball player may be an advantage. There aren't many of those in Division I.
Believe the changes going on are way more about the new chancellor than our AD. She may be following suit but he is clearly the catalyst. Mediocrity is no longer acceptable.
1 x

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:58 am

Doubledore wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am
Believe the changes going on are way more about the new chancellor than our AD. She may be following suit but he is clearly the catalyst. Mediocrity is no longer acceptable.
My comment wasn't necessarily about the coming facilities improvements but more about the day-to-day relationship between coach and AD.
0 x

CrimeDore
Captain

Post by CrimeDore » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:37 pm

So Sparks threw out 19 names as possibilities and still missed the person they ended up hiring.
0 x

Versus75
Admiral

Ahem! I called it this time ...

Post by Versus75 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Versus75 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 am
Thankfully, Sparks narrowed the list to a manageable 19. I predict None-of-the-Above.
... by predicting None-of-the-Above.

The Hustler joined Sparks by tossing out a bunch of names that didn't draw the winning ticket.

Amaka Agugua-Hamilton
Belmont head coach Bart Brooks
Middle Tennessee head coach Rick Insell
UT-Martin head coach Kevin McMillan
Penn head coach Mike McLaughlin
Cincinnati head coach Michelle Clark-Heard
Texas A&M associate head coach Kelly Bond-White
South Carolina associate head coach Lisa Boyer
Penn State assistant coach Ashley Earley
Jackson State head coach Tomekia Reed

Bond-White, Brooks and Rick Insell were on Sparks' list as well. Between the two reporters, they suggested 26 possibilities. And the hire? None-of-the-Above.
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic