The SEC settles on a scheduling format-- for baseball

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

The SEC settles on a scheduling format-- for baseball

Post by BrentVU »

The scheduling format for baseball will be as follows once Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, Associate Commissioner Herb Vincent has announced:

Each season a team will play a three-game series against two permanent opponents and eight rotating opponents, for a total of 30 conference games. Standings will be kept in a single-division format.

In other words, teams will play two 3-game series against permanent opponents year-in and year-out, and eight other 3-game series with eight other teams from the other 13 teams in the conference.

As a math major, I would say it seems a little odd to be rotating 13 teams year-over-year over 8 slots, but maybe that's just me. (Since 13 is not divisible by eight, it will take 13 years in order to do a full, equitable round-robin with all the other SEC teams. But maybe they're not worried about that.)

Versus75
Admiral

Re: The SEC settles on a scheduling format-- for baseball

Post by Versus75 »

They didn't ask me, either, but I might have suggested:

3 permanent opponents
8 series rotating among the other 12 teams

33 conference games total ... alternate between 18 and 15 home games per year.

Within 3 years each team would play home-and-home series against all of the rotating teams.

However, under the plan you cite f we have only two permanent opponents, I would suggest Kentucky and Tennessee.
commadore
Admiral

Re: The SEC settles on a scheduling format-- for baseball

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:40 pm They didn't ask me, either, but I might have suggested:

3 permanent opponents
8 series rotating among the other 12 teams

33 conference games total ... alternate between 18 and 15 home games per year.

Within 3 years each team would play home-and-home series against all of the rotating teams.

However, under the plan you cite f we have only two permanent opponents, I would suggest Kentucky and Tennessee.
They will give us LSU and Ole Miss until someone else is better.
Locked Previous topicNext topic