Commitment: Whit Muschamp 6-1 180 QB Chattanooga Baylor

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Commitment: Whit Muschamp 6-1 180 QB Chattanooga Baylor

Post by BrentVU »

Vandy now has TWO QBs committed for 2024, and BOTH are from private schools in Chattanooga...

Junior stats: passed for 3,187 yards, 31 TDs, only 2 INTs. Led Baylor to a state title.

Had offers from Ole Miss, Missouri, Louisville, Virginia, and a number of mid-majors.

Oh yes, he is the son of UGA assistant and former SEC coach Will Muschamp.

Film:
[hudl]16008267/6327c8cab023d3053cc390b4[/hudl]

[tweet][/tweet]

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Commitment: Whit Muschamp 6-1 180 QB Chattanooga Baylor

Post by BrentVU »

Here's a great story about him from the Chattanooga Times-Free Press:

"Of all these guys we'll have on the field, Whit's the only one who's played in a championship game," [Baylor coach Erik] Kimrey said earlier this week. "It was incredibly important having him transfer in here to lead our offense. We have expanded the playbook since the last time he played for me, but having that familiarity with the guy leading the offense made the transition much smoother.

"He throws an unbelievably catchable ball, but he can also zip it when he needs to. He's incredibly accurate, consistent and makes elite throws with defenders barreling down on him. Whit's greatest asset, other than the ability to throw the ball, is his mindset is unflappable. Whether it's a good play or bad, you get the same guy on the next down."

Chattanooga: Baylor’s Muschamp, Jefferson among top prospects to watch at BlueCross Bowl
(by Stephen Hargis)
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

This is crazy that VU has commitments for QB's from arch-rivals in the same town. Can't help wondering if Jay and Whit talked about this before Whit committed.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Here's a link to the write-up about the commitment from the Chattanooga paper;
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/202 ... ts-to-sec/
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Stephen Hargis, who wrote the article about Muschamp last November, writes this about Muschamp's commitment to the Commodores...

Whit Muschamp decided there was no need to delay his decision any longer.

“I was up there last week and got to watch a practice and talk with some of the players, and I fell in love with all of it,” said Muschamp, who announced his commitment on his Twitter account Saturday afternoon. “After speaking with the other players there, they believe in the direction of the program and that we will be competing for championships soon.

“I sat down with my parents, and we discussed it and decided this was the right time for me to go ahead and commit.”...

“This is a really big deal for me to have this commitment made, so now I can just concentrate on getting better with my teammates for next season and make it more about them and us as a team instead of about me.”...

“The first time I saw him throw a football was when he was in sixth grade, and it didn’t take long to recognize he has a gift,” Baylor coach Erik Kimrey said. “The way the ball comes out of his hand and to be able to throw it with such accuracy, even on the move, and the consistency he plays with are all special talents.

“Whit can extend plays with his athleticism, and whenever I call a bad play, he makes me look a lot better than I am. He has elite accuracy, poise and instincts for the game and has a real chance to help Vandy win a lot of games.”

Chattanooga: Baylor School QB Whit Muschamp commits to SEC program
(by Stephen Hargis)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe Georgia won't run up the score as much on us now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

This reminds of Whit Taylor: think it is great.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Gonna be interesting watching this competition develop. Whit said in the article their abilities complement each other and he looks forward to competing.

PS -- I hope you folks in Southeast Tennessee realize how good it is to still have a functioning newspaper, and Hargis covering sports.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:00 am Gonna be interesting watching this competition develop. Whit said in the article their abilities complement each other and he looks forward to competing.

PS -- I hope you folks in Southeast Tennessee realize how good it is to still have a functioning newspaper, and Hargis covering sports.
His being a coach’s kid is really helpful on this front. He can explain to him that you can’t run away from competition. If you want to play, you’re gonna have to beat somebody out. Whether it’s VU or anywhere else, you have to win a competition for playing time.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Welcome aboard Whit!!!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Good article by Grace Raynor of The Athletic on Muschamp (PREMIUM):

https://theathletic.com/4305658/2023/03 ... ed_article
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:52 am Good article by Grace Raynor of The Athletic on Muschamp (PREMIUM):

https://theathletic.com/4305658/2023/03 ... ed_article
Coach Kimrey has some really nice comments about Coach Lea and his recruiting abilities! He is a highly respected HS coach too, who just took Baylor to a state championship.
Locked Previous topicNext topic