UGA Wreck is getting uglier every day

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: UGA Wreck is getting uglier every day

Post by OldDude »

The excesses in college sports become more absurd each year. The culture it has created needs to be torn down.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

but but but they won two nattys....and multiple traffic fatalaties is just part of that deal, right? can't do that with choir boys, right? olddude is right, but good luck accomplishing that tear down.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Beware groups of street racing punks in the Nashville area. They caught a guy going 128mph the other day.

That was on 65. I've seen it on 24 way too much.

https://www.wgnsradio.com/article/79717 ... ng-128-mph

Also had drugs and drug money in the car. So "law-and-order" Williamson County let him walk that night.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

This is terribly sad on so many levels.

Ms. LeCroy was eulogized as being a wonderful, bright, cheerful person and an asset to the football staff. Condolences to her family and everyone touched by her death. But you just don't do what she did.

I believe there was also evidence that she was using the car she was driving in violation of policy. This points to negligence by the athletics department and may even set the university up for lawsuits by the families of the injured parties.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

"The toxicology report indicated that LeCroy's blood alcohol concentration was .197 at the time of the crash," ACCPD said in a statement.

The legal limit in Georgia is .08. 11Alive also obtained the toxicology report which confirmed the .197 BAC."

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports ... d9224e2bee
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

A gal who chaperones players to strip clubs and drives them home at 115 mph while over twice the legal limit. This is who UGA hires to help recruit players.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

So this is the school's fault???

Was it in her job description that she was required to get drunk to well over TWICE the legal limit and then go driving like a crazy fool in a giant 5400 pound SUV? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

I don't have any doubt that a win-at-all-costs large state school whether Georgia, Nate Oats at Bama, various (most) sports in jox-vile TN... all have evil scumbag tendencies. But the blame for this goes to the person who got beyond drunk and got behind the wheel and drove like an insane maniac.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:14 pm Beware groups of street racing punks in the Nashville area. They caught a guy going 128mph the other day.

That was on 65. I've seen it on 24 way too much.

https://www.wgnsradio.com/article/79717 ... ng-128-mph

Also had drugs and drug money in the car. So "law-and-order" Williamson County let him walk that night.
Not only groups, and not only on the interstates. I'm often in several parts of town and it's absolutely crazy out there.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:43 pm
Was it in her job description that she was required to get drunk to well over TWICE the legal limit and then go driving like a crazy fool in a giant 5400 pound SUV? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Really? You can't imagine how this can be part of the job, and yet not be in the written job description?

"Make sure the players have a good time (wink wink)"

A mafia boss says "I'm tired of Sven. I don't want to see him around here any more." Then, mysteriously, the guy winds up on the bottom of the river. I suppose in this case the mafia boss bears no "personal responsibility" for the guy's death? Because he didn't give a written order?

If you think the same dynamics don't occur in big time college football, you might be just a teensy weensy bit naive.

I don't see the lawsuit, because just like Sven, if you're an adult engaging in dangerous and/or illegal behavior, you're responsible for your own outcomes. But when the organization implicitly promotes these behaviors, they also bear some of the responsibility.
Last edited by alathIN on Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

While "have a good time" for large state school jocks could easily include a trip to a titty bar, I doubt it was supposed to include death and destruction. Maybe some of you guys with a law degree can chime in on UGa's chance of being on the bad end of a civil suit in this. The level of drunken stupidity on the part of the young woman in question goes far above the marching orders to (cough-cough) "have a good time."

While morally and ethically UGa is far from in the clear (same could be said for Brandon Miller easily)...the standards for litigation are probably different. How many times have we said "there ought to be a law" and 99.9% of the time you never see a new law against {name of issue here}.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:05 pm While "have a good time" for large state school jocks could easily include a trip to a titty bar, I doubt it was supposed to include death and destruction. Maybe some of you guys with a law degree can chime in on UGa's chance of being on the bad end of a civil suit in this. The level of drunken stupidity on the part of the young woman in question goes far above the marching orders to (cough-cough) "have a good time."
I agree and I said as much in the post - like the mobster who winds up in the bottom of the river, she is responsible for her actions and the predictable consequences.

But if the implicit job description is take the boys out for a cough-cough good time, it's a foreseeable consequence that they're going to wind up drunk and something bad is going to happen eventually and I don't think you can hold the program/school completely blameless.
I have no idea whether the lawsuit will succeed. I suspect it will be settled because UGA doesn't want their cough-cough arrangements to be aired in a courtroom.

This comes down to the assumption that every dispute has a good guy and a bad guy; every lawsuit has a nefarious perpetrator and an angelic innocent victim.
Sometimes they're all nefarious bad guys.
"A Pox on Both Your Houses" should be one of the options for a judge.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Its just all really sad. If I take a step back and forget about that these were college athletes and verry young people, I begin to understand that they made some horrific choices that young people sometimes do. Its not exclusive to athletes or recruiting staffers.

It makes me feel old to say it, but I remember being that age and it wasn't so much a feeling of invincibility, but a feeling of not having any cares or responsibilities. I never did what these folks did, but I had my fair share of stupid things. I hurt for everyone impacted. There is the responsibility that they each hold, but it doesn't stop me from hurting over it.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I'm no lawyer, but I understand the vehicle is leased / owned by the AD. If this is the case, could the plaintiffs argue that the lady was acting as agent for the AD at the time and therefore the school is liable ?
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

From any perspective legal/ethical the question of oversight and who knew (or should have known) what might have been going on but turned a deaf ear is paramount. A wrongful death action could bring out a lot about the Ga football program that it would not want unearthed, as could a criminal trial. The Alabama basketball scandal is perhaps even uglier.

On the other hand college kids (hand raised here) have been doing stupid things since the days of Plato. So I'm not sure how much of this can be blamed on big time college sports per se. If I had just won a national championship I'd likely think I was bullet proof.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Let me throw this out there. There is a certain liberal arts college on a certain mountaintop in a certain state (all of which is well known). There is very little to do on this particular campus so the students frequently over-indulge in adult beverages, even though many are underaged. This college has written policies prohibiting this, particularly in connection with Greek activities. Notwithstanding these written policies there have been more than a few incidents where students have been injured, some seriously, while engaging in these activities, particularly when involved in Greek activities. There have been more than one incident in which the said college compensated such individuals while denying liability.

I don't know anything about the policies that maybe be in play with UGA, or its track record regarding these policies, but if I were asked to look into this event as a plaintiff lawyer, I would not hesitate to do so, but NOT on behalf of the driver of the car that wrecked.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

dore74 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:29 pm From any perspective legal/ethical the question of oversight and who knew (or should have known) what might have been going on but turned a deaf ear is paramount. A wrongful death action could bring out a lot about the Ga football program that it would not want unearthed, as could a criminal trial.
That's why I suspect any civil suit will be settled. UGA is not going to want to turn over all their athletic department emails and texts to a plaintiff's lawyer looking for dirt.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

A lot of heat on Kirby Smart to go before the media to address all this; so far he hasn't said much.

The Athletic (premium): Kirby Smart and Georgia should send a message of accountability
(by Seth Emerson, who covers UGA)

Atlanta: Georgia’s Kirby Smart failing at big part of his job
(by Michael Cunningham)

Atlanta (premium): Isn't it time we heard from Kirby Smart?
(by Mark Bradley)
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Legal liabilities aside, UGA has facilitated the culture out of which this incident grew. Do you think the all attractive female aides that are hired to "assist" players and chaperone recruits are told "take them to coffee shops and play backgammon."?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

alathIN wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 am
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Really? You can't imagine how this can be part of the job, and yet not be in the written job description?

"Make sure the players have a good time (wink wink)"

A mafia boss says "I'm tired of Vincenzo. I don't want to see him around here any more." Then, mysteriously, the guy winds up on the bottom of the river. I suppose in this case the mafia boss bears no "personal responsibility" for the guy's death? Because he didn't give a written order?

If you think the same dynamics don't occur in big time college football, you might be just a teensy weensy bit naive.

I don't see the lawsuit, because just like Vincenzo, if you're an adult engaging in dangerous and/or illegal behavior, you're responsible for your own outcomes. But when the organization implicitly promotes these behaviors, they also bear some of the responsibility.
Mafia and Vincenzo. Why is it ok to stereotype Italians and no other ethnic group?
Locked Previous topicNext topic