Watson & Mack Brown, Jeff Peeples, Sandy Haury make Tennessean's All-1960s Decade team

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Watson & Mack Brown, Jeff Peeples, Sandy Haury make Tennessean's All-1960s Decade team

Post by BrentVU »

Mike Organ has a premium piece in the Tennessean highlighting the greatest players to come out of the Midstate in the 1960s. (To be followed soon by 1970s, 1980s, etc.) Watson Brown is the QB, and several others who went on to play at Vandy made it. Includes some great old photos from the Tennessean's archives.

Tennessean (premium): All-1960s Decade team

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Watson & Mack Brown, Jeff Peeples, Sandy Haury make Tennessean's All-1960s Decade team

Post by BrentVU »

P.S. This was back in the day when NIL stood for “Nashville Interscholastic League.”
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Watson & Mack Brown, Jeff Peeples, Sandy Haury make Tennessean's All-1960s Decade team

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 am P.S. This was back in the day when NIL stood for “Nashville Interscholastic League.”
And outside of Nashville, before there were districts and regions, there were conferences. Eg. Central Tennessee Conference, in southern Middle Tennessee. What were some others?
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

The Mid-South Conference was all private schools - McCallie and Baylor in Chattanooga, Columbia Military Academy, Sewanee Military Academy, Tennessee Military Academy (Sweetwater), Castle Heights Military Academy (Lebanon) and Darlington School (Rome, GA.).
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I still miss the Nurserymen's Bowl in McMinnville...
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

…and the Tobacco Bowl in Hartsville
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Yes, there were several high school bowl games. A couple of others I remember were the Mid-State Bowl in Lebanon and the Butter Bowl in Pulaski and of course the Clinic Bowl, held at Vanderbilt Stadium. Surely there were more in other parts of the state.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Boyce Smith* Bowl, Springfield.... and this: http://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/bowls/

*who once gave me a ride to school, because i was ALWAYS running late. Plus i knew his granddaughter.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

That's great, Go Vandy! Thanks for posting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic