Saban Rejects Players Asking for Big NIL Deals

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Saban Rejects Players Asking for Big NIL Deals

Post by Johnmn555 »

Saban says he has rejected players and recruits who have come to him asking for big NIL money. I thought that the schools and NIL coops were supposed to be independent from each other and that the schools could not offer NIL money to potential recruits. We all knew the lines would be quickly blurred, but this is blatant. The West just gets wilder.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/alabamas ... ney-report

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Saban Rejects Players Asking for Big NIL Deals

Post by Seadog73 »

Got to give Nick some credit for saying NO, and by the way (to the player on the team) you're off the team.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

As John said, is it up to Coach Saban to say no? He can say no all he wants and let someone else say yes. If he wants to keep winning he'd be wise to work it that way. And my guess is that he is. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in Tuscaloosa who can figure out when to say yes on this.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

vandy05 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 am As John said, is it up to Coach Saban to say no? He can say no all he wants and let someone else say yes. If he wants to keep winning he'd be wise to work it that way. And my guess is that he is. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in Tuscaloosa who can figure out when to say yes on this.
Given that a Bama player was the first that I saw with a million-dollar NIL deal, I'd say you're probably right.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

I think what I’ve heard Saban say about NIL is that it should be earned on the field, and a new recruit hasn’t earned anything. Obviously, the genie is out of the bottle in regard to outside entities ponying up NIL money to an unproven player, but when the player comes to the university to arrange an NIL deal for them to sign and/or stay out of the portal, that’s when Saban has indicated he will help them out by showing them the exits.
Locked Previous topicNext topic