Goodbye, South End Zone; should begin to be demolished this spring

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUinFL
Commander

Re: Goodbye, South End Zone; should begin to be demolished this spring

Post by VUinFL »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:14 pm
VUinFL wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:59 am … get most of the visiting fans out of the main TV camera view
My suggestion involves fewer people getting moved.

Put the TV camera booths and platforms on the east side of the field.
I'm not sure there is precedent for the commentators being on the opposite side of the primary TV viewer, I don't think they could watch the live action in one direction and their monitors be in the opposite direction

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

This is a dumb question, but does television avoid putting cameras on the east side of stadiums to avoid the setting sun in the west?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:10 pm This is a dumb question, but does television avoid putting cameras on the east side of stadiums to avoid the setting sun in the west?
Yes. Most football fields have their sidelines on the east and west sides; this is why running backs who do not do much zigging and zagging are sometimes called good "north-south runners". (And MLB baseball fields are not alined to allow the sun to be behind the pitcher from the hitter's perspective.)
Last edited by nyyankeeDore on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

VUinFL wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:25 am
Versus75 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:14 pm
VUinFL wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:59 am … get most of the visiting fans out of the main TV camera view
My suggestion involves fewer people getting moved.

Put the TV camera booths and platforms on the east side of the field.
I'm not sure there is precedent for the commentators being on the opposite side of the primary TV viewer, I don't think they could watch the live action in one direction and their monitors be in the opposite direction
Well, in my scenario the commentators would be on that side as well. Probably install a new elevator to their booth and some concession areas that could supply the media and fans in the upper levels.

As for the sun, I wouldn't think it is a factor for cameras trained on the stands/field but not the setting sun. Don't know the orientation of other stadiums, but I know several have small attendance mostly on one side of the field. The cameras generally show that side of the field.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:10 pm This is a dumb question, but does television avoid putting cameras on the east side of stadiums to avoid the setting sun in the west?
TV always positions its cameras on the pressbox side of the field, period. Occasionally, maybe for a championship game, they might position one camera on the opposite side of the field for a different angle, but that's just for replays and reviews. And of course, there's often an end zone camera for placekick attempts.

Now, you'll find that almost always, if the field is oriented so that the sidelines are on the east and west, the pressbox is on the west side; and if there's a north sideline and a south sideline, the pressbox is on the south side. Presumably, the sun is the reason for that; no one wants the sun shining into the pressbox on a hot afternoon. (Can anyone think of any exceptions? I can't.)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

BrentVU wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:26 pm
TV always positions its cameras on the pressbox side of the field, period. Occasionally, maybe for a championship game, they might position one camera on the opposite side of the field for a different angle, but that's just for replays and reviews. And of course, there's often an end zone camera for placekick attempts.

Now, you'll find that almost always, if the field is oriented so that the sidelines are on the east and west, the pressbox is on the west side; and if there's a north sideline and a south sideline, the pressbox is on the south side. Presumably, the sun is the reason for that; no one wants the sun shining into the pressbox on a hot afternoon. (Can anyone think of any exceptions? I can't.)
I've been racking my brain trying to think of exceptions. I know of one small FCS stadium that has the box on the east side, but it's in a mountainous location and for years didn't even have west stands. I know the cameras are always on the press box side, and I always just assumed the press box was on the west side because of the sun.
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

Auburn has done a hybrid arrangement at Jordan-Hare Stadium. As part of the renovation of the main press box on the west side, they are adding 150 premium club seats. Coaches, national broadcast crews, radio crews, and some others will remain there. A second press box for some print and internet press will be added to a corner of the stadium that also includes a recruiting room and other athletic facilities.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Everyone who purchased a front entrance renovation “brick” several years ago, they have been removed it’s my understanding.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

DS2001 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:24 pm Everyone who purchased a front entrance renovation “brick” several years ago, they have been removed it’s my understanding.
Dang, that’s discouraging. I bought one of those in honor of my late brother. They went down about 2010 or 2011. They raised a lot of money selling those bricks. I would hope they would put them back somewhere, but I doubt they’d go to that trouble. Just goes to show how impermanent everything is.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:12 pm
frstev17 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:49 pm Agree on appreciating the updates. I hope after the official groundbreaking February 8 that regular updates will be forthcoming.
Another idea would be a livestream cameras at the construction sites. Maybe someone in the AD would think outside the box on that one.
Fortunately, I am already on that. It's my understanding that one is ready to go after the groundbreaking.
The cam is now live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=500woGM3m2k
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

That's cool. Just checked it out. No construction going on at night but cars pulling in and out of the parking garage.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic