Report: Vandy has fewest transfers out in first portal window of any SEC school

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Report: Vandy has fewest transfers out in first portal window of any SEC school

Post by BrentVU »

Discouraged by the number of players who have announced they are transferring out during the portal window that closed last week? This might make you feel better... VU special teams analyst Jeff LePak tweeted this out along with the current coaching staff's mantra, "Recruit, Retain, Develop."

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Report: Vandy has fewest transfers out in first portal window of any SEC school

Post by Seadog73 »

Strongly suggests the players respect our coaches and what they are building.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Re: Report: Vandy has fewest transfers out in first portal window of any SEC school

Post by LawoftheWest »

Good for the Vandy coaches, instilling loyalty.

The case of aTm may be different. Some of those transfers may be the result of being recruited over, as aTm supposedly had the top rated (purchased) class. Further, the aTm record this past season was extremely disappointing to their fans (as it must have been to their players), leading to a desire to find a better situation.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

On the other hand, the previously highly recruited players at teams that are stronger and deeper than we are stand a better chance of landing a good position by transferring and hence are more likely to transfer.
Versus75
Admiral

But then ...

Post by Versus75 »

... we only have ONE transfer in and are ranked #78 in the nation in that category.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Footb ... mRankings/

Don't know how 247Sports compiles its rankings. Does it consider TRANSFERS OUT as well?

Kentucky is an example of a team that seemed to do well in getting transfers from other schools.
The Cats got a former HS 4-star QB from NC State who some consider the best TP QB: Devin Lee
They scored a former HS 5-star DLineman from UNC: Keeshawn Silver
... and Vanderbilt's star running back: Ray Davis

Based on HS Star Rankings, Kentucky gained 1 5-star / 4 4-stars / 2 3-stars
But they lost 5 4-stars and 8 3-stars

Is that a push? https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ ... nkey=24101
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Maybe, just maybe the players we recruit value a Vanderbilt education - other teams not so much.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Whatever the numbers for any team, I still think the transfer portal sucks (raspberry sound inserted here).
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:54 pm Maybe, just maybe the players we recruit value a Vanderbilt education - other teams not so much.
Also, I should have included in my previous post, that we are keeping players despite not having much, if any, NIL money, especially compared with other SEC schools. I think that speaks to the personal qualities of our players in valuing an education.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:58 pm On the other hand, the previously highly recruited players at teams that are stronger and deeper than we are stand a better chance of landing a good position by transferring and hence are more likely to transfer.
This is certainly a valid point, and the thought had crossed my mind, too.

However, retention is very significant, even if you have a bit less “talent” than the opposition. Keeping guys in your system and developing them over time to be ready to plug in when they’re needed will lead to a more consistent performance and product over time. This is Business 101. Training new staff is pretty much the biggest net expense (not to mention headache) businesses face.

By maintaining and training players for the long haul, the team will experience less “downtime” at any given position game-over-game and year-over-year.

I’m becoming cautiously optimistic that Lea and staff are actually building something. Now if only VU can make it worth all of their while by incentivizing our best staff to retain them! I like what we’re seeing so far, but losing the coaches that are getting us there hurts. I don’t envy Lea the monumental uphill battle he faces of making VU relevant in football. So many hurdles at so many organizational levels. But he has shown aplomb thus far.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I still hate that the media and others lump all transfers together as one type of transfer. It would provide a lot more prospective if we knew what kind of transfer these players represented (undergraduate, graduate, or extra Covid eligibility).
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

The fact that Tennessee has as much talent as they have and fewer transfers as well doesn’t bode well for us as it relates to their success in next couple years
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

2 things
1) MW is transferring to a school without a coach??
2) don’t we have the smallest roster of any school in the conference? maybe I’m wrong there but I thought we usually had the least number of players
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

vu2003rpl -
1. No, MSU named former DC, interim HC, Zack Arnett as permanent HC shorty after the Egg Bowl (I think) and if not then after the bowl game. He has a full staff in place now.
2. Very possible because it would be rare to find a number of PWO's for VU and we rarely lose many players once on campus. The exodus during the COVID year and after HC DM was a bit of an anomaly.
Locked Previous topicNext topic