Tyler Steen 2023 draft

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUinFL
Commander

Tyler Steen 2023 draft

Post by VUinFL »

Tyler Steen is a projected 1st round pick after his year at Alabama...would he be in the same position had he played out his final year here (assuming his performance was similar)?

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Tyler Steen 2023 draft

Post by BrentVU »

I think the NFL has proven that they will find and evaluate players no matter where they play; the number of players who come from lower-division schools is proof of that. The amount of money NFL teams spend on scouting is staggering. Playing at Alabama vs. Vanderbilt might help a player with TV exposure and name recognition, but I assure you, NFL scouts have access to every cutup of every player at Vanderbilt and can evaluate accordingly.
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

I always believed this too until Vince Young and Matt Leinart were considered a tier above Jay Cutler. As college players they were two of the best all time but both had both played on loaded teams throwing to WRs that were always wide open behind stacked lines and powerful running games. Young had no touch and didn’t seem suited to a pro style offense while Leinart had a weak arm. I have no doubt if Cutler had started for USC or Texas or any other traditional powerhouse, he’d been considered the top pick in the draft.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Love Cutler for being a Vandy guy, but potential was never reached. If we beat MTSU with him we go to bowl games.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I don't think the scouts really ranked Young and Leinart higher than Cutler. They just got chosen above him because nobody gets fired for buying IBM.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dorelover82 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:15 pm Love Cutler for being a Vandy guy, but potential was never reached. If we beat MTSU with him we go to bowl games.
Of course had they actually started him at QB......
Locked Previous topicNext topic