A thought or two about the transfer portal

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

A thought or two about the transfer portal

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

There are three different types of transfers occurring:

1. Those players who are undergraduate transfers with eligibility remaining (e.g. Mike Wright, assuming he's not graduating this academic year)
2. Those players who are graduating this year and who have an extra year (or two) of eligibility remaining due to the Covid rule (Ray Davis)
3. Those players who are graduating before their eligibility has run out, taking advantage of the "Richard Kovalcheck Rule" that existed even before Covid (Joel DeCoursey)

First, let me say that every student athlete needs to do what is best for him or her. No exceptions. I harbor no ill will towards anyone past or present for transferring from Vandy.

Transfer type #1 has occurred for years (previously with a requirement to sit a year, of course). Transfer type #3 never have as many participants, relatively speaking. And while transfer type #2 will only be with us a couple more years, it "feels" like it's hurting Vanderbilt more than anything because Vandy just doesn't accept that many grad students, and a lot of our players stay four years and graduate.

Just a reminder that while there are over 1,000 players in the transfer portal as of tonight, but not all transfers are created equal.

Versus75
Admiral

Re: A thought or two about the transfer portal

Post by Versus75 »

What I don't understand are the #1 types WHO HAVE ALREADY GOTTEN A FREE (no time sitting out) TRANSFER and wish to transfer again before they graduate.

Do they automatically have to sit out a semester/season/year or will the NCAA be offering exceptions for things like: "I need to be closer to my ailing parent" (yet I will still be 500 miles away from home and practicing or traveling all the time so I won't actually get to see Mom or Dad any more than I do now)?

If that's the case, the NCAA might as well go back to the old system.
Locked Previous topicNext topic