OT: Am I the only person who thought this re: Deion?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

OT: Am I the only person who thought this re: Deion?

Post by historybill »

At the press conference in which he was announced to be the new coach, Deion Sanders said that his son would be the starting QB.

Forgetting what this does to player morale.... am I so out of touch that it struck me that this is odd, since he's making the assumption that his son is already admitted to the school, having not gone through the admissions process?

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Am I the only person who thought this re: Deion?

Post by dallasdore »

It's the University of Colorado. I don't think admission will be a problem.

Yeah, inexperience could cause a lot of things to blow up in Deion's face. He has no idea how his son will compare to whatever QB's are on the roster. Any of them with thoughts of getting playing time will likely race to the portal now. Even if Deion intends for his son to start, not a good thing to come out and say that off the bat.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

It is "worse" than that - he basically told them to hit the road, or portal:
https://www.al.com/sec/2022/12/deion-sa ... louis.html
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

A little messy by Coach Prime in his opening presser if you ask me.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

dallasdore wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:59 am It's the University of Colorado. I don't think admission will be a problem.

Yeah, inexperience could cause a lot of things to blow up in Deion's face. He has no idea how his son will compare to whatever QB's are on the roster. Any of them with thoughts of getting playing time will likely race to the portal now. Even if Deion intends for his son to start, not a good thing to come out and say that off the bat.
According to a quick google search, the average ACT score at the University of Colorado is 28 and the average ACT score at Jackson State is "17-20". Also, the Univ of Colorado has a much higher average ACT score than most SEC schools. So I don't think just anyone can get into the Univ of Colorado.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Portal is so bad for the athlete. Allows coaches to dump players after making the commitment. Most people see it as the players advantage, but in reality that is rarely true. Prime is simply letting the cat out of the bag as to the way coaches use the portal
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

dorelover82 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:24 pm Portal is so bad for the athlete. Allows coaches to dump players after making the commitment. Most people see it as the players advantage, but in reality that is rarely true. Prime is simply letting the cat out of the bag as to the way coaches use the portal
But players don't have to utilize the portal if they don't want to do so.
Locked Previous topicNext topic