Ray Davis not returning; entering the portal as a grad transfer

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Ray Davis not returning; entering the portal as a grad transfer

Post by BrentVU »

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Ray Davis not returning; entering the portal as a grad transfer

Post by BrentVU »

I'm thinking the coaches must have known this was coming... coincidentally or not, they had two uncommitted RB prospects in for official visits this weekend (see previous post).

So far all is quiet on that front, however.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Given how CCL & Co. are after another RB in the freshman class, I suspect they had talked with Ray and knew this was coming.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Well, that sucks.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Well, that sucks.

Thanks for the memories.

While the transfer portal is forever, how much longer must we endure the extra Covid year?
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Ray,

We thank you for your great effort and the joy of watching you play this year. However, it would be a lie for me to say how I understand people given so much can then walk away when that provider needs them. College is a short time, but life is a treasure of memories. Being a rent a player is no way to waste the great opportunities. Personally I wish you all the best! In terms of the nature of the portal, I find no merit.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

According to the Chris Lee podcast, Davis was not accepted to the Vandy grad school he applied to and his leaving has nothing to do with his desire to play another season at Vanderbilt. This was known and expected since Davis didn’t get into grad school and is why the coaches had been recruiting the RB position hard as of late. Sorry to see Davis go, but he has a VU degree and was not accepted into grad school so he can’t play football anymore at VU regardless of if he wanted to. Blame admission not Davis or Clarke Lea
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

dorelover82 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:27 pm However, it would be a lie for me to say how I understand people given so much can then walk away when that provider needs them. College is a short time, but life is a treasure of memories. Being a rent a player is no way to waste the great opportunities. Personally I wish you all the best! In terms of the nature of the portal, I find no merit.
Temple fans could make the same statement.
My understanding is that Ray earned his degree. There any number of reasons he could legitimately want to move on to a different grad school.
Having to pay Vanderbilt tuition to complete his grad degree, after his one last scholarship year, leaps immediately to mind.

I see no reason to question his motives or judgement.
Just grateful he was here. He represented the university well and helped win a couple of games the program desperately needed.

PS: if it was an admissions problem, shame on Vanderbilt not shame on Ray Davis.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

If his dream is the NFL then if he can land at a higher tier school and start, which I think he could, this is a good move for him.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I think he would still have had his scholarship had he been accepted to a grad program. We have no idea what his grades were.

I have a feeling that the Peabody faculty/administration feels a bit put upon in tending to about 80 percent of the football team, and they are drawing the line at their grad programs. Earl Bennett said that after getting his masters, he was repeatedly turned down for the Phd program. They are running what has always been among the top two or three grad education programs in the country. We don't have grad programs in which to park football players. Sorry to be frank and honest about it.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

I always expected Ray to depart, but held out hope that he might come back for an extra year.

What really concerns me is how thin we will be in terms of experience next season at RB. It's Patrick Smith, Chase Gillespie, and that's about it. And we won't have Mike Wright in the backfield to run the ball, either. Amazing how a position of strength entering the season has been decimated.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

He already has an offer from UK.

[tweet][/tweet]
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:37 pm He already has an offer from UK.

[tweet][/tweet]
imagine
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic