Orji and Davis

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

secchamp
Lieutenant

Orji and Davis

Post by secchamp »

Many are thinking Orji and Davis are coming back after this tweet. That would be huge for next season and would be a big endorsement for coach Lea!

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Orji and Davis

Post by BrentVU »

Having both of them back might literally be the difference in an extra win or two next season. They were the two biggest difference-makers on Team Two.

Not quite sure what that tweet means though.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Come back guys - keep the momentum.
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 am Having both of them back might literally be the difference in an extra win or two next season. They were the two biggest difference-makers on Team Two.

Not quite sure what that tweet means though.
I agree about the wins..
Apparently it's a Jay Z song that starts with "Allow me to reintroduce myself"
He and Orji both tweeted it.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Please stay!! We need and love you guys! Fun to watch!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

This would be the best possible sign that Coach Lea is turning the corner. Absolutely huge, if true.

Several others - Hernandez and Mahoney - have also indicated they are coming back - so, there is some hope.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Having these guys (Mahoney and Hernandez, hopefully Orji ad Davis) return is a huge endorsement of CCL and his staff and what they are building.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I have no clue if the twit has anything to do with coming back...

Orji can go and get drafted now, with a decent showing at the combine. The only thing he has to gain by staying (business-wise), is next year I believe he can work himself into a 1st round pick.

My guess is that Davis is too small for what the pros want. If he were to stay, work his tail off in the offseason, and have an even bigger year next year, he could work his way into and up draft boards despite his stature.

Besides all this, maybe they just want to stay the extra year? Imagine if we went bowling next year-- they can forever wear the badge of being the leaders who turned this thing completely around from scratch!
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Well. Davis is officially entering the transfer portal. Wind out of the sails, sadly.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Bummer about Davis. Is he a grad transfer? Wonder if he wanted to leave or maybe couldn’t get into grad school. Seems we have lost graduates with eligibility left in previous years.
We probably will never know.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Crap!!! I Hope Lea can hold on to others!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Davis graduates in December. Good for him. In Tennessean he is quoted that leaving is in his best interest. Could it be others will pay more than VU with NIL? Sorry to lise him: we need a winner like him, but I understand the financial need, if that is it. Also, twit says there was no grad school option at VU. He has VU degree which is the biggest asset we have to offer at this point. Twit rumor is UK is his landing spot.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Why would he take a step down to a UK team we beat? Lack of commitment to those who took care of you in time of need
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

According to the Chris Lee podcast, Davis was not accepted to the Vandy grad school he applied to and his leaving has nothing to do with his desire to play another season at Vanderbilt. This was known and expected since Davis didn’t get into grad school and is why the coaches had been recruiting the RB position hard as of late. Sorry to see Davis go, but he has a VU degree and was not accepted into grad school so he can’t play football anymore at VU regardless of if he wanted to. Blame admission not Davis or Clarke Lea
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

I posted above my fear he wasn’t accepted into grad school. If memory serves me, it seems we’ve lost some graduated seniors in previous years for the same reason.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

frstev17 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:01 pm I posted above my fear he wasn’t accepted into grad school. If memory serves me, it seems we’ve lost some graduated seniors in previous years for the same reason.
And that's part of being the kind of school we are. You can't just go to VU grad school because the football team wants you. Comes with the territory, especially with a fifth year of eligibility.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

I’m not sure but I don’t think the problem is necessarily getting into grad school. We have limited graduate programs and athletes’ undergraduate majors don’t always match with what’s available at the next academic level.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

dorelover82 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm Why would he take a step down to a UK team we beat? Lack of commitment to those who took care of you in time of need
Kid gave his all for the black and gold, especially this year. Graduated and is moving on to his next step. This is a B.A.D. take my friend.
Locked Previous topicNext topic