The official nail in the season

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

The official nail in the season

Post by Mrcommodore »

Per this story, we don't even have the dream of bowling as a 5-7 team:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... Y43ADS1xJs

For the first time since 2016, at least one 5-7 team will be needed to fill a bowl game. There are currently 79 bowl-eligible teams for 82 spots. Buffalo will host Akron on Friday in its second attempt to get a sixth win after the Bulls lost at home to Kent State in overtime. The Akron game was originally scheduled for Nov. 19 but got postponed due to the massive snowstorm that hit the area that weekend.

New Mexico State is also 5-6 after a 49-14 demolition of Liberty. The Aggies also had a game postponed against San Jose State on Nov. 5, but it will not be made up. Instead, New Mexico State is hoping to schedule a game against an FCS school this week, However, the Aggies already have a win over an FCS school and teams can only count one such win towards the six needed for bowl eligibility. To qualify, New Mexico State will need waivers from the NCAA to allow its opponent to play an extra game and to allow the Aggies to count that one toward bowl eligibility. Of course, they must also win the game.

Even if Buffalo and New Mexico State qualify for bowls, we are still one team short. That allows a 5-7 team to participate. That decision is made based on the most recent APR ratings, which means Rice will play in the postseason. The next two teams in line should Buffalo and/or New Mexico State falter are UNLV and Auburn. All other five-win teams are out of luck.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: The official nail in the season

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

And in case you were wondering, if UNLV turns down a bid at 5-7, Michigan State would be next up, followed by Miami FL (although they should really turn it down).

Picked a bad year to have a lower-than-usual APR ranking.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

For those who want us to lower our academic standard for recruits, the APR rating may indicate that we already have.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:55 pm For those who want us to lower our academic standard for recruits, the APR rating may indicate that we already have.
I did a search for APR ratings. The results are all over the board. For example, Duke is rated 5th in the ACC
behind Boston College and (ahem) Louisville. In the Big 12 Texas is rated 6th behind such an academic powerhouses as Iowa State (ranked #1) and West Virginia (#4).

While the goal is commendable the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. I encourage everyone to do their own search to see the distortions.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Transfers out of the VU program at the end of the Mason run and after CCL's first year hurt our APR.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

apr ratings may have lost any dependable validity in today's nil/portal world, no?
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

We could schedule another game under the rules because we went to Hawaii.

After the UT debacle, I am sure the season is over. But rule-wise, we did it to ourselves. We could have scheduled S.E. Idaho as a 13th game and chose not to…
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Seadog73 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:15 am Transfers out of the VU program at the end of the Mason run and after CCL's first year hurt our APR.
Do transfers count? I thought the APR numbers are based upon the players who have already had 4 years of eligibility? So don't the 2022 scores reflect the 2017 or 2018 class?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:16 am
Seadog73 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:15 am Transfers out of the VU program at the end of the Mason run and after CCL's first year hurt our APR.
Do transfers count? I thought the APR numbers are based upon the players who have already had 4 years of eligibility? So don't the 2022 scores reflect the 2017 or 2018 class?
I believe the APR is based on the number of players who enter your school who actually graduate within 6 years. And I think transfers out hurt you because they have to graduate from your school. So if you experience a rash of transfers you're going to get crushed, even if those players later graduate from somewhere else.

If I have this all correct, the APR is now obsolete in today's world.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

That makes sense, Vandy05. That means that the new numbers would reflect players in the 2015 class or thereabouts, the incoming freshman in Mason's third (?) class.

If you want to blame somebody, blame him.
Locked Previous topicNext topic