OT: Why does the Egg Bowl

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: Why does the Egg Bowl

Post by Go Vandy! »

get its own day?

Golddore68
Admiral

Re: OT: Why does the Egg Bowl

Post by Golddore68 »

Will it be Kiffin’s last game as Ole Miss’ coach?

I don’t think Auburn would be any better than Ole Miss. You’re still in the SEC West and have to play Alabama and LSU every year, two teams Kiffin hasn’t beaten much at Ole Miss. But I think the fan base at Auburn is more rabid and impatient and will fire you after a bunch of 10-2/9-3 seasons (they did Malzahn) whereas you could do that at Ole Miss and fans are ok with it.

But then again they fired Cutcliffe after some 10-2 seasons when they had Eli Manning and thought they should win the SEC and national championship.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:49 pm Will it be Kiffin’s last game as Ole Miss’ coach?
The Athletic today asked, will Kiffin leave for Auburn by helicopter as soon as the game is over?

One way or another, betcha Auburn has a new coach by no later than Monday morning.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Yeah. Hugh Freese. Lol
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

IIRC, Texas and A&M used to play frequently on Thanksgiving. It’s mainly an NFL day, but I do like the two days of CFB that follow.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Go Vandy! wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:34 pm get its own day?
In response to the original poster, the two schools have agreed to do it (or maybe the SEC office cajoled them into it; the fans are used to it now and get pumped for it. It basically has no competition except for (usually) a subpar NFL game, so the two schools have the national ESPN audience and fans of college football all to themselves. ESPN gets a pretty good game each year; usually one or both teams are ranked. Seems like a win-win to me.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Turned out to be a good game.

Now the question is, whither Lane?

I hope he doesn't go to Auburn, for the reasons everyone has opined. I like him and I'd hate to see him subjected to the Aubies and their boosters.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

If Kiffin can maintain success at Ole Miss, he can probably get the Alabama job in a few years.
The formula for success is to have the university admin, athletic department, big donors, and coach/staff all working in the same direction. Alabama is famous for that.
At most universities, at least one of those four groups is playing its own game.
At Auburn, none of those four is even aligned within itself. It's not just four factions heading off in different directions; it's fifty sub-factions and the only thing they all agree on is they want more drama. Kiffin will steer clear if he knows what's good for him.

Auburn is that girl you dated in college who was hot but crazy, who got mad over something she imagined you said, so she set your car on fire. Not going to ever be a stable relationship with anyone.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

alathIN wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:47 pmAuburn is that girl you dated in college who was hot but crazy, who got mad over something she imagined you said, so she set your car on fire.
THAT's the girl I've been looking for since my teens. Do you have her number?
Locked Previous topicNext topic