Gators hate cold weather

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jpmando
Commander

Re: Gators hate cold weather

Post by jpmando »

The 1974 freezing rain VU-UT game at Dudley. Miserable in every way. Rain, high 30s all game.

The original "Punt Barry (Burton) Punt" game. Larry Seivers steps out of the end zone, makes the reception after he steps back in, given the touchdown on the last play--should have been waved off.

Final score is a tie. So hoarse I couldn't speak for 3 days. Galbierz throws his helmet 30 yards when the horn sounds.

mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Best Crowd on a very cold (but clear & calm) day:

2014 Compass Bowl -Birmingham????

I wasn't there and haven't looked it up but wan't it in the teens?

Would love somebody to post a pic of the half of Legion Field that was PACKED with VU FANS.

#WeHaveFans
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I have racked my brain and can't remember in all my years a Vandy game in serious snow. But this thread has brought back some memories...

The BBVA Compass Bowl was cold, but there was sunshine. The Music City Bowl in 2008 seemed colder because it was at night.

The UK game in 1971 was a decent temperature at kickoff time, but a front was moving through that lowered the temperature about 20 degrees during the game (as I remember it).

And there have been too many frigid-and-wet games to count. Almost all of them happened in November. UT 1982, UT 2013 are just a few examples. How about Missouri 2017, the week before Thanksgiving? There were about three soaking wet Vandy fans left at the end, and I was one.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Temperature at kickoff at the 2008 MCB was 38, but by the end of the game had dropped to 32. There was a persistent wind of 10-15 MPH throughout the game. Winds had gusted as high as 28 MPH that morning as the high temperature for the day had been reached at midnight.

The high in Birmingham for the BBVA Compass Bowl was a relatively balmy 48 after a low of 29.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:21 am I have racked my brain and can't remember in all my years a Vandy game in serious snow. But this thread has brought back some memories...

The BBVA Compass Bowl was cold, but there was sunshine. The Music City Bowl in 2008 seemed colder because it was at night.

The UK game in 1971 was a decent temperature at kickoff time, but a front was moving through that lowered the temperature about 20 degrees during the game (as I remember it).

And there have been too many frigid-and-wet games to count. Almost all of them happened in November. UT 1982, UT 2013 are just a few examples. How about Missouri 2017, the week before Thanksgiving? There were about three soaking wet Vandy fans left at the end, and I was one.
If I remember correctly, a pass interception leading to a winning Kentucky touchdown on the last play of the game made things feel more uncomfortable.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Ok it’s Thursday and the forecast hasn’t changed: the cold is definitely going to be a factor Saturday, even though the sun should be shining. Vandy has been practicing outdoors this week, while the temps in Gainesville, Florida this week, while chilly-ish (highs around 60) haven’t been anything like Nashville. What does it mean? Stay tuned. Most importantly, bundle up in black and gold, and show up Saturday.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:05 am Ok it’s Thursday and the forecast hasn’t changed: the cold is definitely going to be a factor Saturday, even though the sun should be shining. Vandy has been practicing outdoors this week, while the temps in Gainesville, Florida this week, while chilly-ish (highs around 60) haven’t been anything like Nashville. What does it mean? Stay tuned. Most importantly, bundle up in black and gold, and show up Saturday.
In other words, perfect football weather! And PLENTY of great seats available on the official VUAD ticket site, vucommodores.com as of 7 am Thursday. Promo code SECWIN will get you in for $33.50 (including fee) -- a Filene's Basement clearance price unheard of for SEC football. Less than the cost of 4 No. 1 Big Mac combos -- and a helluva lot more enjoyable. Sideline tickets for $40.

GO, damnit!
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Current forecast is temp between 39 and 45 from 11 am to 2 pm. Sunny. Not a big deal, even for Gators.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Admit I was hoping the forecast would evolve into a snow day.

FWIW
“alligators can even survive in water temperatures as low as 40 degrees Fahrenheit.”

WIND prediction? Have heard it said QBs hate wind more than any other weather issue

#GigGators
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

mtnvandy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:50 am Admit I was hoping the forecast would evolve into a snow day.

FWIW
“alligators can even survive in water temperatures as low as 40 degrees Fahrenheit.”

WIND prediction? Have heard it said QBs hate wind more than any other weather issue

#GigGators
From 11:00 to 3:00 the wind varies from 8-12 mph. Pretty chilly.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

The 2008 game in Lexington was pretty terrible. The temperature hovered in the 30s all day and it alternated between snow flurries, sleet, drizzling rain.

But hey we won and clinched our bowl bid at that game. DJ Moore had 2 picks and a couple of touchdowns on offense that day.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

In retrospect, how much of a factor was weather in the UF game?

I wasn’t there but think some of the UF drops were caused by cold Gator hands.

Others have disagreed w/ me.
O
Thoughts?

BeatUT!
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

The most important play of the game was caused by the position of the stars, not by the cold.

The Florida punt returner was looking STRAIGHT into the bright sun when he misjudged that punt, then threw up his arms and the ball went straight through them into the end zone, and Vanderbilt recovered it.

Otherwise, it wasn't all that cold.... the receivers dropped those balls because they just aren't very good receivers. One of them tried to catch the ball with his body rather than his hands, which is something receivers should learn in middle school.

But that fumbled punt was absolutely caused by the position of the sun.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

It was a bit chilly when the wind hit or the sun slipped behind the clouds, but it wasn’t that cold. Still, I noticed several UF players dressed in layers while our guys were almost all in shirt sleeves. I think the chill in the air annoyed some of the UF players resulting in a slight loss of focus on a game they weren’t up for in the first place. Don’t want to overstate the impact but I think it was > zero.

And Happy Thanksgiving.
Locked Previous topicNext topic