Gators hate cold weather

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

Gators hate cold weather

Post by mtnvandy »

Just an FYI from a SW FLA native

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Gators hate cold weather

Post by BrentVU »

The forecast could change, but the game time temp for next Saturday may be in the high 20's!

(Unfortunately, Vanderbilt fans don't seem to like cold weather much either.) :roll:
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:23 pm The forecast could change, but the game time temp for next Saturday may be in the high 20's!

(Unfortunately, Vanderbilt fans don't seem to like cold weather much either.) :roll:
Ol Fayettev..., uh FayetteDore will be there bundled up. 8-)
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
mtnvandy
Captain

Record Snow for a VUFB game?

Post by mtnvandy »

In my nearly 40 years of VU fandom, I have watched on tv and endured some awful weather.

But I don’t recall a game with any significant snow.

When/ where was the last true snow game?

Coldest game ever?

I’d love a 25 mph breeze Saturday to add to the Floridians misey.

#GigGators
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

The 2008 bowl was pretty cold. I also remember a November game against UK around 1997 when it was about 35 degrees but there was a steady 25mph wind.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Record Snow for a VUFB game?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:39 pm In my nearly 40 years of VU fandom, I have watched on tv and endured some awful weather.

Coldest game ever?
Every Vanderbilt fan alive will tell you that the 2008 Music City Bowl was the coldest game ever.

(It probably wasn't, but man, it felt like it that day.)
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I remember being at a game at the Dud sometime between 1977 and 1980 and it was snowing. I think Georgia was the opponent.

The Hall of Fame Bowl in the 80's in Birmingham was sunny but pretty cool as I recall.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

There was a game in the late '60s where we played Kentucky. Was a close game we lost at the end. What made it bad was a strong rain for the entire game with temperatures hovering around 38 and a 8-10 mph wind. One of the coldest times I have ever had.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Not sure it was record cold but iirc Spurrier’s first National Championship team came a bad (for us) first down spot by the Zebras from crashing to the Dudley field astro turf on a windy & cold November afternoon.

Who was there???

I watched on tv from NE TENN. The Gator equipment ppl were very ill prepared for the conditions. They put tape over the players ear holes and tried to stay warm with rain ponchos. Did they learn anything? Wonder wheb they fly in and if they will get in a meaningful cold weather pracitce?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Interesting that Napier refused to discuss the weather "because we don't control it," of course, they do control preparation for it. I hope our coaches are spending time on cold weather conditions preparation - whatever that may be. We played well in cold weather last week: that should help.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

commadore, are you thinking of the UK game in '71? I remember that one well - cold, wet, miserable day. We were leading until someone thought it was a great idea to try along pass. Late 4th quarter, and predictably, UK intercepts and runs it back 70+ yards for the winning TD. I was there.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Commodore, it was UK in 1967. You’re right the weather was absolutely miserable. It was Dickie Lyons the UK player who ran back the long interception to beat us. I was there and I was about as miserable as the weather.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

worst I remember at the Dud was the lame-duck year the Oilers played at VU. The Vikings came to town to play right after an ice storm. It was a challenge just to get to your seat without falling down.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:20 pm
mtnvandy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:39 pm In my nearly 40 years of VU fandom, I have watched on tv and endured some awful weather.

Coldest game ever?
Every Vanderbilt fan alive will tell you that the 2008 Music City Bowl was the coldest game ever.

Funny thing is, the most miserable I have ever been at a game (well, due to weather conditions) was the game before the 2008 Music City Bowl. We played Wake at Winston-Salem on the last day of the season, a night game where it was 37 degrees and pouring rain.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

The 2013 Vandy-Tennessee game at Neyland was bitter cold, in the mid or upper 20s when General Patton Robinette ran in from 5 yards out to score with about 20 seconds left, winning 14-10. That game ended just after 10:30. Doubtless that the Vandy fans had a warm glow despite the cold.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VUadmiral
Commander

Post by VUadmiral »

I think one of the coldest I remember was at Virginia Tech in 1989. There was a 35 mile an hour wind out of the North end of the stadium. We lost 18-0 on 6 field goals that were all kicked with the wind.
It was low 30s but the wind chill made it really cold.
The Admiral
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Seadog73 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:15 am commadore, are you thinking of the UK game in '71? I remember that one well - cold, wet, miserable day. We were leading until someone thought it was a great idea to try along pass. Late 4th quarter, and predictably, UK intercepts and runs it back 70+ yards for the winning TD. I was there.
That was the one. Suffered through every minute of it.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

commadore wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:16 pm
Seadog73 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:15 am commadore, are you thinking of the UK game in '71? I remember that one well - cold, wet, miserable day. We were leading until someone thought it was a great idea to try along pass. Late 4th quarter, and predictably, UK intercepts and runs it back 70+ yards for the winning TD. I was there.
Was that the infamous UK game that would have been a tie and Vanderbilt lost it in the most ridiculous way possible? I wasn't around at that time but the legend lives on.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:45 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:20 pm

Coldest game ever?

Funny thing is, the most miserable I have ever been at a game (well, due to weather conditions) was the game before the 2008 Music City Bowl. We played Wake at Winston-Salem on the last day of the season, a night game where it was 37 degrees and pouring rain.
I was at both of those games. I absolutely FROZE at the MCB, coldest sporting event I've been to as well, and somehow still managed to enjoy new years eve out on the town. I had forgotten about the game against Wake, what made that game so bad is that it was sopping wet, as opposed to the MCB which was a gorgeous day but just plain frigid.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:16 pm
Was that the infamous UK game that would have been a tie and Vanderbilt lost it in the most ridiculous way possible? I wasn't around at that time but the legend lives on.
Yes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic