Ole Miss moves up to No. 9 in both polls; a great opportunity to knock off a Top Ten team

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Ole Miss moves up to No. 9 in both polls; a great opportunity to knock off a Top Ten team

Post by BrentVU »

It won't be easy of course. Ole Miss (5-0 after their win over Ole Miss) will be a formidable opponent, but I'm not at all sold on them as a Top Ten team.

The Rebs got a huge win yesterday over Kentucky, a team with which they seemed to be well matched. But UK made a ton of mistakes, and could easily have won, probably would have won except for a critical sequence on the Cats' last possession. It was a very physical game.

I am impressed by Ole Miss' defense, which was very good against UK's ground-and-pound most of the day. And Ole Miss has a freshman running back Quinshon Judkins who is averaging about 100 yards per game and 7.1 yards per carry. With him, Ole Miss is much more of a running team than they were last year.

But except for UK, Ole Miss has mostly feasted against subpar competition. The Rebels struggled to beat a Tulsa team at home that barely beat Northern Illinois.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Ole Miss moves up to No. 9 in both polls; a great opportunity to knock off a Top Ten team

Post by commadore »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm It won't be easy of course. Ole Miss (5-0 after their win over Kentucky) will be a formidable opponent, but I'm not at all sold on them as a Top Ten team.

The Rebs got a huge win yesterday over Kentucky, a team with which they seemed to be well matched. But UK made a ton of mistakes, and could easily have won, probably would have won except for a critical sequence on the Cats' last possession. It was a very physical game.

I am impressed by Ole Miss' defense, which was very good against UK's ground-and-pound most of the day. And Ole Miss has a freshman running back Quinshon Judkins who is averaging about 100 yards per game and 7.1 yards per carry. With him, Ole Miss is much more of a running team than they were last year.

But except for UK, Ole Miss has mostly feasted against subpar competition. The Rebels struggled to beat a Tulsa team at home that barely beat Northern Illinois.
Fixed it for you.
Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Ole Miss moves up to No. 9 in both polls; a great opportunity to knock off a Top Ten team

Post by Nashmann »

I still don't see us beating them. They don't have to run....they can torch us through the air. Maybe they will run a few plays to give their WRs a breather......hope I eat crow lol
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Lane Kiffin's superpower is exposing the weaknesses of an opponent's defense. I think it will be very difficult for Vanderbilt's D to get off the field.

Would be delighted to be wrong.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Would love to see at least one sack and an interception.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I've no idea what will transpire on Saturday and am realistic that we'll be a two or three TD underdog. But I'm very interested to see how we do versus a very strong, but not 'bama industrial strength, SEC team and see where we end up at game's end. We'll have two weeks to prep, hopefully have some Mike Wright surprises added to the mix and maybe even be overlooked by Kiffin's mercenaries. Will be a great gauge of how far we've come thus far in year two.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

alathIN wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:12 pm I think it will be very difficult for Vanderbilt's D to get off the field.
...without employing some of the methods we used to quickly get off the field against Alabama.
Vandy sr
Seaman

Post by Vandy sr »

Vandy played well last year,a 31-17 loss in Oxford with mike Wright at qb! The good old days!
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

commadore wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:39 pm
BrentVU wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm LOL JK there is a 0% probability of winning. Ole Miss (5-0 after their win over Kentucky) will be a formidable opponent, but I'm not at all sold on them as a Top Ten team.

But except for UK, Ole Miss has mostly feasted against subpar competition and we will be no different. The Rebels struggled to beat a Tulsa team at home that barely beat Northern Illinois.
Fixed it for you.
Fixed again.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Agreed that #9 team, at home, off a bye is probably the best shot we'll have to beat a Top 10 team any time soon. That said, just don't think we're at that place as a program yet. Maybe close for a couple quarters- and then Ole Miss presses the accelerator in the 3rd. 48-20 or some such thing would be my guess.

Love to be wrong though!!!

Really just need to get through this "Murderers' Row" part of the season (i.e. @Bama, Ole Miss, @UGA) w/some hard lessons learned, and hopefully not too many injuries. Rest of season can be pretty fun from there IMHO.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Vandy_Law07 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:31 am Agreed that #9 team, at home, off a bye is probably the best shot we'll have to beat a Top 10 team any time soon. That said, just don't think we're at that place as a program yet. Maybe close for a couple quarters- and then Ole Miss presses the accelerator in the 3rd. 48-20 or some such thing would be my guess.

Love to be wrong though!!!

Really just need to get through this "Murderers' Row" part of the season (i.e. @Bama, Ole Miss, @UGA) w/some hard lessons learned, and hopefully not too many injuries. Rest of season can be pretty fun from there IMHO.
The question I have is if Ole Miss is really a top 10 team. They may be, but I feel like they flirt with this every year and then they kind of head back to earth a little bit and settle into that 15-20 range. I don't know that it makes a super big difference in terms of our chances on Saturday, but just an observation.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

bernstml19 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:09 pm
commadore wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:39 pm
BrentVU wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm LOL JK there is a 0% probability of winning. Ole Miss (5-0 after their win over Kentucky) will be a formidable opponent, but I'm not at all sold on them as a Top Ten team.

But except for UK, Ole Miss has mostly feasted against subpar competition and we will be no different. The Rebels struggled to beat a Tulsa team at home that barely beat Northern Illinois.
Fixed it for you.
Fixed again.
What does that mean?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I just don't see how they don't throw the ball all over the field and the game is over in the first half. We can stop the run but not the pass
Locked Previous topicNext topic