What's going on with Mizzou/Georgia ?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

What's going on with Mizzou/Georgia ?

Post by cc11316 »

I've been unable to watch ESPN and SEC-N all day due to the Disney-Dish dispute but seeing where Mizzou has led the entire game and is leading by 10 points early in the 4th quarter. They were 31 point underdogs and a game many of us were looking at as the most winnable one remaining.

Golddore68
Admiral

Re: What's going on with Mizzou/Georgia ?

Post by Golddore68 »

Their field goal kicker has hit five field goals in five attempts, including two over 50 yards. He missed an easy field goal in the loss to Auburn. And Missouri's defense has put pressure on Stetson Bennett all game and stuffed Georgia's running game for the first three quarters.

Georgia finally did score in the fourth quarter and they're about to score again so looks like Georgia will pull it off.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

watching the Auburn-Mizzou game last week, they kept talking about how both teams had been horrible in the second half. I think both showed it today.
Last edited by commadore on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Mizzou has a really good front 7. They like to blitz a lot.

Unless our staff comes up with a very creative plan - I am not wild about our chances at Mizzou. For that matter, SC’s Rattler throws ropes. For folks counting on an SC win, although I think the Gamecocks are bigly overrated, I don’t like that matchup against our zone secondary.

On the brighter side, if Young does not get hurt, Bama rolls Arkansas on the road about the way they rolled us. They are very good. The 55-3 drubbing still hurts, but we should not read too much into it.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I'm not one to criticize the officials BUT: Mizzou was leading 22-19 with about 8 minutes left in the game and was driving down the field pretty well. After 3 consecutive 1st-down plays, a combination of running and passing, the Tigers had reached the Georgia 47. Then on second down, the Mizzou QB was flattened by a hit after throwing an incomplete. No flag; no call. On the next play, he completed what would have been a 1st down pass deep into Georgia territory and, surprise, Mizzou is called for a personal foul somewhere in the backfield for a 15-yard penalty back to the Mizzou 38. About a 40-yard reversal. SEC Network showed the replay only once and I never saw the foul. The Mizzou coach appeared incredulous, shaking his head. Mizzou ended up punting on 4th and 21. Georgia drove down to score the go-ahead TD (for the first time in the game) with about 4 minutes left.

Can someone on here who saw it weigh in on the personal foul call?

Mizzou played with great emotion and despite the disparity in stats, played toe-to-toe for most of the game against the No. 1 team in the land before the officials intervened. Mizzou goes to Florida Saturday and then has a bye before hosting the 'Dores Oct. 22.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Agree about what appeared a late hit on MO QB. As to the offensive line call, if it is the play I am thinking of, a Missouri lineman had a big grab and pull on the face mask of a Bama rusher; the replay I saw was very clear.

Missouri has a good D line and will give us fits .
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

I can't recall the penalties noted against Missou, but I think Missou just wore down some in the 4th quarter. They played a spirited game. They faded just enough to let UGA win.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

That game was one we've seen a million times as Vandy fans. You play a highly ranked opponent tough all the way to the end only for it to slip away, either because of a mistake by our team or something goofy with officials. I feel for the Mizzou faithful, but not too much since they have a couple of division titles in the last decade.
Locked Previous topicNext topic