OT: Northwestern to demolish Ryan Field, build new (and smaller) $800 million facility

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

OT: Northwestern to demolish Ryan Field, build new (and smaller) $800 million facility

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

To be completed by 2026. Pretty impressive commitment to the future of football...or the next Chicago Fire stadium.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT: Northwestern to demolish Ryan Field, build new (and smaller) $800 million facility

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

More about the stadium project here: https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... yan-field/

Capacity will be lowered to 35K and is intended to be LEED Gold Certified.

Hopefully, the first brick on Vandy's non-stadium project will have been laid by 2026.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT: Northwestern to demolish Ryan Field, build new (and smaller) $800 million facility

Post by charlestonalum »

I like the 35k cap on attendance. I don't like the pricetag. Huge waste of money.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

You have to have a “Sugar Daddy Family” to build a stadium strictly with private funds. That dwarfs the Vandy United Fund. Although $800 Million seems expensive for a 35,000 seat stadium. Must be using Chicago union construction workers
VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Post by VandyfanKY »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:06 pm I like the 35k cap on attendance. I don't like the pricetag. Huge waste of money.
If my math is correct, that's $22,850 per seat. Unreal. The lower capacity makes sense; last year only their Iowa game exceeded that 35k threshold. Boutique stadiums are the future.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Think if they kept Ryan Field and funneled a tenth of that money into NIL.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Keep in mind this in addition to the indoor practice facility they built on the shores of Lake Michigan 2 years ago for (~$200M)

As a Northwestern season ticket holder I am excited for the new venue. Of course they don’t know where they are going to play for 2 full seasons (possibly White Sox stadium or the Chicago Fired old stadium is what their ticket office told me). Soldier Field not an option.
Locked Previous topicNext topic