OT: Ole Miss sells the real estate on its helmets for this weekend

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

OT: Ole Miss sells the real estate on its helmets for this weekend

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I know I sound like the "get off my grass" guy and that this was inevitable, but I hate it nonetheless:

https://footballscoop.com/news/ole-miss ... el-company

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Ole Miss sells the real estate on its helmets for this weekend

Post by FayetteDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:10 am I know I sound like the "get off my grass" guy and that this was inevitable, but I hate it nonetheless:

https://footballscoop.com/news/ole-miss ... el-company
No, not wanting advertising on your school's helmets is not get off my grass at all. I see it as more of Is Nothing Sacred Anymore?! The writer is exactly right: because it's about money, this will spread. Maybe not rapidly, but it will spread. I hate it too.

Who is only the second school in the SEC to sell the name of its stadium? And it happened only 5 years after the first one did.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I agree with you , Auric. This will get out of control.

I foresee a situation like this:
Big Bill, founder and CEO of Acme Industries, is a major contributor ( $millions per year) to his alma mater Big State U. Big State U sells helmet space unwittingly to Big Bill's major competitor. Big Bill tells them to stick it. Sooner or later alumni become less of a factor in school support replaced by big business. Won't mention names, but there are a couple of major corporations whose ethics are such that a promotional affiliation with VU might push me out the door. (Don't get me wrong my contribution level isn't keeping VU afloat :lol: ).
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Gag me.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Some Japanese baseball teams have been called by their corporate sponsor and less called by the city for years …. For example
Yomiuri (newspaper) Giants - Tokyo
Lotte (Candy Company) Marines - Chiba
Seibu (department store) Lions - Saitama
Rakuten (e-Commerce) Golden Eagles - Tohoku

Why wouldn’t it happen here? MLB has approved Sponsor patches already. How soon until it’s the CocaCola Braves. Sam Adams Red Sox. Etc
Last edited by vu2003rpl on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but it would not surprise me if college athletics goes the way of NASCAR and other events in which advertisements are all over unis and equipment.

However, I must laugh at a guy who first states this is his opinion and feels that he can back it up by stating that it is the "correct" opinion.

Zach: You may think your opinion is correct. If you didn't, then you probably wouldn't even publish your opinion. But if, indeed, this is a proven fact there is no need to tell us it's your opinion. Just state the fact.

"... the most valuable piece of real estate a university owns is its football helmet."

Oh, by the way, I can state as fact that your statement is stupid. How many helmets do you think Nike would give us for Kirkland Hall and The Commodore statue in front of it? And would that make our football team any better? If so, then Candace and Daniel D should make Nike an offer.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

vu2003rpl wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:01 pm Some Japanese baseball teams have been called by their corporate sponsor and less called by the city for years …. For example
Yomiuri (newspaper) Giants - Tokyo
Lotte (Candy Company) Marines - Chiba
Seibu (department store) Lions - Saitama
Rakuten (e-Commerce) Golden Eagles - Tohoku

Why wouldn’t it happen here? MLB has approved Sponsor patches already. How soon until it’s the CocaCola Braves. Sam Adams Red Sox. Etc
I don't know, I could get into some Sam Adams Red Sox. :lol:
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

All I can say is ... you'll get used to it as this is likely just the beginning. The other option of course is to not follow popular college sports. Either way, this change is inevitable.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

cc11316 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:19 pm All I can say is ... you'll get used to it as this is likely just the beginning. The other option of course is to not follow popular college sports. Either way, this change is inevitable.
Frankly, between 4-plus-hour games, the money grabs, the trashing of tradition, the diminishment of loyalty, the increasingly un-level playing field, the futility of competing against semi-pros, the lack of support, et al, that other option is increasingly attractive. Judging from the half-empty stadium, many have already stopped following or never followed at all. If you want the purely mercenary, there are better options. If you don't, autumn weekends away from TV are pretty nice. So yeah, I can see the day when I just check the scores on Sunday morning -- if that.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:35 pm
cc11316 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:19 pm All I can say is ... you'll get used to it as this is likely just the beginning. The other option of course is to not follow popular college sports. Either way, this change is inevitable.
Frankly, between 4-plus-hour games, the money grabs, the trashing of tradition, the diminishment of loyalty, the increasingly un-level playing field, the futility of competing against semi-pros, the lack of support, et al, that other option is increasingly attractive. Judging from the half-empty stadium, many have already stopped following or never followed at all. If you want the purely mercenary, there are better options. If you don't, autumn weekends away from TV are pretty nice. So yeah, I can see the day when I just check the scores on Sunday morning -- if that.
Its the world we are in these days. Everything is driven by money so why would college sports be any different? Things really started turning that way 40 years ago (not just in college, but everywhere) and its impossible to stop now.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Suspecting that this is "premium content" I'll only post the title:

Opinion Sometimes, as with the college football conference upheavals, worse is better
By George F. Will

It's in today's Washington Post. While he does not refer to this latest wrinkle in the college sports business, it gets to the heart of the discussion here. Worth a read if you can find it.

He is the author of that great line (I'm paraphrasing): "football is the great American sport, it features violence punctuated by meetings."
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Jimmy Dean Sausage University would be in Knoxville, right?
Locked Previous topicNext topic