Mike wright

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Mike wright

Post by MrMemorial »

Podge91 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:04 pm We weren't going to beat Alabama with trick plays.

I think AJS and MW can exist in the same backfield, but why show that package against Alabama? It seemed like the more out of reach the game got, the more vanilla the offense became. Why go deep into the playbook at that point?
We weren't going to beat this era of Bama come hell or high water with anything.

I was referring to gadget plays for the betterment of the duration of the season and maybe beyond. Or would we prefer to see Wright get tired of holding a clipboard and transfer to Memphis or Louisville after the season is over?

Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:26 pm Swann didn't give up 55 points.
Quite true, although failure to get first downs gave Alabama more possessions.

Either way, we need faster DBs with the confidence to cover WRs without giving them an 8-yard cushion. THAT was what made the game so easy for Alabama. That and the fact that they're Alabama.

BTW, last weekend was my first trip to Tuscaloosa and I can't say enough good things about it.

The atmosphere was second to none (although my exposure to other SEC stadia is still quite small). Much better than Tennessee-Knoxville and we all know how it compares to VU.

When you go in knowing what the final score will be like, it's a great place to enjoy watching a game
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

In addition to being thin at RB and on the offensive line, we are thin at WR. Shepard is always double teamed and rarely gets real separation, relying on hauling in balls thrown into coverage. We really could use Cam Johnson and Abdur-Rahman. No an ideal situation for a frosh QB.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Is the OP kin to Mike Wright? I like Mike (Great Slogan) and wish they would find a way to use him. We'll see.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Truly a class young man...
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Pretty clear that Mike Wright's gonna play, suspect the bye week will give us time to work him in.

Also pretty clear that we are over matched against Alabama and Georgia and likely some others. We all knew that going into the season.

As noted above we need a few more recruiting seasons to see how this gets turned around--simply need more better players to supplement the guys on the squad now. Frankly if we win one or two more games I'd be thrilled.

I remain optimistic, hopefully I'll still be so at the season's end.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

AJ Swann is the most impressive freshman QB since I started watching Vanderbilt football in 1983 and it isn't close. I'm not saying his career will eclipse Cutler or Shurmur - we will have to see - but if you saw those two in their first two starts neither of them showed anywhere near the poise and playmaking we have seen from Swann.
I'm a fan of Wright but he was not going to beat Alabama ripping off 70+ yard runs like he did against Hawaii. Against good defenses Wright's passing isn't good enough to punish teams for overplaying the run and Alabama is a GREAT defense.
Swann isn't as fast as Wright (no QB I've seen is) but he is quite athletic and above average QB running with the ball. He's plenty mobile for anything we need a QB to do and he is far and away the best arm talent on the team. Not only arm strength, but he can throw the ball into small windows and hit receivers in stride and he is our best QB taking care of the ball.
Yes he's a freshman and may have missed a couple of reads against the #1 or #2 defense in college football with future NFL first round pass rushers in his face. But Wright doesn't make those reads any better than Swann and Swann is on the early part of the learning curve - his ceiling is much higher. We will see him get better and better game by game. For heavens sake this was Swann's second college start against one of the two best teams in the nation and he was certainly the least of our problems on offense.
Our problems on offense against Alabama were, in no particular order, 1) no lanes for the running backs, 2) minimal pass protection, and 3) lack of open targets to throw to. Because ALAfreakingBAMA.
Right now Sheppard and Maloney are our only explosive threats catching the ball, and Maloney is limited in some situations by his size. This is where Wright could make his best impact and it's his best chance to play at the next level.
I'm a Wright fan and want to see him on the field. Yes he may be dead set on being a QB and might transfer if so. But best for the team and best for his own future would be if he moves to catching the ball. He is electrifying when he gets the ball in space and catching the ball, not taking the snap, is the best way to make that happen.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Perfect summary of the mood of the board, less the mystery initiator.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Podge91 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 am
Nashmann wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:26 pm Swann didn't give up 55 points.
Quite true, although failure to get first downs gave Alabama more possessions.

Either way, we need faster DBs with the confidence to cover WRs without giving them an AD* AD* 8-yard cushion. THAT was what made the game so easy for Alabama. That and the fact that they're Alabama.

BTW, last weekend was my first trip to Tuscaloosa and I can't say enough good things about it.

The atmosphere was second to none (although my exposure to other SEC stadia is still quite small). Much better than Tennessee-Knoxville and we all know how it compares to VU.

When you go in knowing what the final score will be like, it's a great place to enjoy watching a game
Does any other SEC team give 8 yd cushions on the line? year after year, I seem the same from ole VU. And now with the portal offering players to change teams almost yearly, and NIL payments to players, I fear that my love for college sports is waining.
Locked Previous topicNext topic