Mike wright

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy sr
Seaman

Mike wright

Post by Vandy sr »

Mike Wright is our only chance to win another game this season Wright is the leader of this team and the quicker we have a shot of winning or we can continue to play swank and watch the losses pile up we can say wait to next year or beyond swann is not as good as Wright and no better than seals the game against Alabama was terrible and we didn’t compete no leadership

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Mike wright

Post by BrentVU »

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Vandy sr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 pm Mike Wright is our only chance to win another game this season Wright is the leader of this team and the quicker we have a shot of winning or we can continue to play swank and watch the losses pile up we can say wait to next year or beyond swann is not as good as Wright and no better than seals the game against Alabama was terrible and we didn’t compete no leadership
Punctuation? Your writing makes it impossible to follow.
Or
Punctuationyourwritingmakesitimpossibletofollow.
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

Sir I’ll agree to disagree…
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

I'm a big fan of Wright and was hoping he would continue to improve as he adds a dynamic at the QB position Vandy has been lacking for several years. However, the game performance vs Wake merited a change as the Deacs have a less than median overall defense and are very suspect vs the pass, ranking outside the top 70 in both.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Vandy sr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 pm Mike Wright is our only chance to win another game this season Wright is the leader of this team and the quicker we have a shot of winning or we can continue to play swank and watch the losses pile up we can say wait to next year or beyond swann is not as good as Wright and no better than seals the game against Alabama was terrible and we didn’t compete no leadership
God Bless You
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Swann is the future. I DO wish CCL would find ways to get Wright into the game. He seems to give his coordinators pretty free reign. But a HC can always get his way.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Wright can run but is suspect at passing. We can't just run against SEC teams!! If we get behind just running won't let us catch up. I wish Swann was more mobile but his passing gives us a chance and we can still use our backs to run.
Last edited by Nashmann on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Wright's biggest asset is supposedly that he can "extend plays". But I don't know that I've ever seen a Vandy QB extend a play the way Swann did with that TD pass to Ray Davis vs. Northern Illinois.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Ok, I think I'll try to paraphrase since obviously that was a difficult read. The guys first post in Vandymania says Wright needs to play to have any opportunity to win the rest of the season. Ok, I have no problem with that opinion but the rest of the post felt more like a variable declaration in a computer program than a human readable sentence.

I think there were 3 different things the author was attempting to say after that:
1. Swann isn't as good as either Wright or Seals
2. Swann's game against Bama was terrible
3. Vandy didn't compete against Bama because of lack of leadership.

Sound about right? As for #1 I don't think there is huge separation at this point but Swann does appear to be the future of the position (to me) with the raw tools. Wright needs to be on the field somewhere and if it came down to Seals playing QB1 for some reason, I have no issues with it. #2. No one had a good game against Bama from the coaches to the players. Vandy scored for the first time in over a decade against them so I'll take that for now. #3 I think Vandy didn't compete because player for player and coach for coach, they aren't on the same level. That's what young coaches and 3 star players look like when playing against national contenders with a roster of 5 star and high 4 star recruits.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:14 pm
Punctuation? Your writing makes it impossible to follow.
Or
Punctuationyourwritingmakesitimpossibletofollow.
No time for all that when you’re just ranting to try and stir up controversy…
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

wbl wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:32 pm Sir I’ll agree to disagree…
With the OP or me?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I think Swann missed some reads vs Bama, but for a frosh starting his first game at Bama with no turnovers- I was impressed. He will learn and it is clear why he is the starter. OP is entitled to his opinion, but...
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:37 pm I think Swann missed some reads vs Bama, but for a frosh starting his first game at Bama with no turnovers- I was impressed. He will learn and it is clear why he is the starter. OP is entitled to his opinion, but...
I had the over/under on int's at 2. On that I was pleasantly surprised.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:39 pm Swann is the future. I DO wish CCL would find ways to get Wright into the game. He seems to give his coordinators pretty free reign. But a HC can always get his way.
Agree. Wright is too good of an athlete to not be somewhere. Slot back or 2 QBs in the game to confuse the opposing defense or something. Trick plays and all.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

We weren't going to beat Alabama with trick plays.

I think AJS and MW can exist in the same backfield, but why show that package against Alabama? It seemed like the more out of reach the game got, the more vanilla the offense became. Why go deep into the playbook at that point?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Swann has a lot to learn but his upside looks great! He needs a much better O-line and more SEC receivers(not just Sheppard). Also, Swann didn't give up 55 points.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

commadore wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:17 pm
wbl wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:32 pm Sir I’ll agree to disagree…
With the OP or me

With the OP.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

mike wright as a hybrid slot rb/wr, jet sweeps, screen passes, crossing patterns, recipient of option runs and option passes. in other words, be creative and get the fastest guy on the team who is also qb savvy, the ball
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Minoadoc wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:34 am mike wright as a hybrid slot rb/wr, jet sweeps, screen passes, crossing patterns, recipient of option runs and option passes. in other words, be creative and get the fastest guy on the team who is also qb savvy, the ball
I suspect they will be installing some of this during the bye week. It's a perfect time to do it. But there was no reason to use it in the Bama game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic