OT & PREMIUM: The Athletic describes the work behind a CFB team's road trip

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

OT & PREMIUM: The Athletic describes the work behind a CFB team's road trip

Post by FayetteDore »

As I walk down Jess Neely Drive to the stadium, I usually glance at the opposing team's tractor-trailer rig parked just southeast of the stadium. I often see fans taking selfies in front of the trailer, which usually has giant logos, images of a few star players or the coach, or a scene of the team's stadium.

So this Athletic article using Penn State's trip to Auburn as an example of the major logistics that go into transporting a big-time college football team and its equipment was interesting.

Tidbits: One of the last things packed on PSU's truck is a foldup table, a big coffee machine and a speaker for the equipment crew to set up first, to keep them fueled up for the unloading and staging work ahead. They pack a laminator so they can laminate paper they need on the sideline in case it rains. Rain gear ALWAYS goes, despite whether there's rain in the forecast. Stuff that gets unloaded at the team's hotel is loaded at the back because the truck unloads there first, then goes to the stadium to unload and set up the rest. As for the hotel, You can have the best hotel in the world but if they don't know how to deal with an invading football team and staff, it doesn't matter.

Oh, and getting to Auburn right now isn't easy because of major work going on at the Montgomery airport's runways. And the kicker: one time they left the key to the heavy-duty lock on the back of the trailer at home. They had to bring in equipment to cut the lock. The cut lock is framed in the equipment manager's office.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.