Falling behind on signing players from tennessee not good!

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

janvandy66
Ensign

Falling behind on signing players from tennessee not good!

Post by janvandy66 »

Coach Lea is really falling behind on signing players from Tennessee, that is not good for the future. Almost all of the top 20 players have gone somewhere else, how can we win if that continues to happen!!!

docdore
Vice Admiral

Re: Falling behind on signing players from tennessee not good!

Post by docdore »

we can conceivably win games without tn recruits, but not as likely to win locoregional fan interest/support.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

If you can not get a least a few of the better players in your own back yard then you will have a hard time winning, I don't care about winning the local fan support.
Captcook
Captain

Post by Captcook »

The sky is not falling… recruiting is not currently a problem and is probably the fastest improving area since the dumpster fire that was left behind.

I believe you’ll find one of our highest recruits in the last class to be Patterson. I’ll also remind that this is August… still a ways to go before signing day.

Finally I’ll remind us all that it’s unrealistic all of our local players will want to join a program where there is hope for the future but not recent success. Many won’t consider until we are a proven winner. This will take some time!

I know it’s tough, but we should all try and not let recent pains and suffering let us fall into the trap of hopelessness and immediately assuming the worst with every piece of information we find. Just like a broken relationship… this takes some time and patience and stages of grieving before we can heal! Lol
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Captcook wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:51 am The sky is not falling… recruiting is not currently a problem and is probably the fastest improving area since the dumpster fire that was left behind.
Agreed. The 2022 recruiting class (#32) was our best since 2013. If you want to worry about something valid, join me in worrying about our offense...
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible, but why does it matter if we capture local kids, especially if you don't care about winning over a local fan base? If you don't care about the local fans, then I don't think local kids matter at all. There isn't something inherently better about Middle Tennessee kids vs. kids from GA, AL, MS, East Tennessee, etc. Its not like a Florida school not being able to recruit kids from Florida. Given all of the states that surround Tennessee, there are plenty of recruits to choose from in those states.

I personally like the idea of having local kids on the team, just because its nice to see local kids do well and get a chance at my university. But outside of local fans, I don't think there is any connection between local kids and a thriving Vanderbilt football program.

Beyond that, I'm' also not ready to say that CCL and crew are falling behind in recruiting local kids. And truthfully, I expect that he will make strong pushes here locally eventually. He is a local product, Nate Morrow is at CPA who is a Vanderbilt guy. We'll get there eventually, wherever there is.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

vandy05 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 pm I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible, but why does it matter if we capture local kids, especially if you don't care about winning over a local fan base? If you don't care about the local fans, then I don't think local kids matter at all. There isn't something inherently better about Middle Tennessee kids vs. kids from GA, AL, MS, East Tennessee, etc. Its not like a Florida school not being able to recruit kids from Florida. Given all of the states that surround Tennessee, there are plenty of recruits to choose from in those states.

I personally like the idea of having local kids on the team, just because its nice to see local kids do well and get a chance at my university. But outside of local fans, I don't think there is any connection between local kids and a thriving Vanderbilt football program.

Beyond that, I'm' also not ready to say that CCL and crew are falling behind in recruiting local kids. And truthfully, I expect that he will make strong pushes here locally eventually. He is a local product, Nate Morrow is at CPA who is a Vanderbilt guy. We'll get there eventually, wherever there is.
This.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

If you are a Vanderbilt fan living in middle Tennessee, I’m certain you have been the object of ridicule! Local kids hear the same thing and are more likely to go somewhere else. Until we are able to turn things around, I believe we will have difficulty signing many local players unless they sincerely value the education received at VU.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's hard to find football players who are also very good students. There are some at the elite private schools in Nashville but Vandy's gotta recruit nationally. The more you can get to visit the better your chances of getting some of those solid student-athletes. I believe that Vanderbilt is respected much more outside of the Nashville area than in the Nashville area. Search nationally and scrape up a local star when you can.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Locked Previous topicNext topic