Letters of Intent

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Letters of Intent

Post by LawoftheWest »

I wonder how binding letters of intent are on high school athletes. Does anyone know? There is a reason I ask.

I know a woman whose son plays wide receiver. He will be a high school senior this coming season. He is supposed to be 5' 10", 180 pounds. The local newspaper said he ran a 4.4 40. He was offered by many Ivies and the 3 service academies, but signed an LOI with Rice. What if he has an outstanding senior year and is offered by, say, Vandy, or another power school. Can he change his mind and say, sorry Rice, but I am going elsewhere.

I am not trying to stir up anything and will not advise my friend about her son and his choices. I am merely curious about how the system now works under NCAA rules.

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Letters of Intent

Post by Seadog73 »

Unless the rules have changed since the last signing period this past spring, the earliest he can sign an LOI is some time in December. I think the local paper is mistaken.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Letters of Intent

Post by vandy05 »

Letters of intent have typically been fairly binding, at least for a year. But a kid can always request a release and the school can choose to grant it or not. But as Seadog points out, no one would have signed a letter of intent at this point in the recruiting cycle for the class of 2023.
Locked Previous topicNext topic