OT: USC and UCLA planning to leave for the Big Ten as soon as 2024

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

OT: USC and UCLA planning to leave for the Big Ten as soon as 2024

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

According to the well-connected Jon Wilner.

EDIT: Now being confirmed by other sources.

Seismic. Just unbelievable.

[tweet][/tweet]

commadore
Admiral

Re: OT: USC and UCLA planning to leave for the Big Ten as soon as 2024

Post by commadore »

Guess they will have to increase that athletic department travel budget.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

As non-college as this is getting USC/UCLS are a better fit in the SEC with the two Texas schools and Oklahoma. Maybe the league should make a counter offer, the LA market would greatly add to the value of the SEC TV package. This is becoming more of an ESPN vs Fox competition for content than anything else I suppose.
If Clemson and FSU or another big ACC school joins one of the two “major” conferences it will complete the change to a very different college sports world.

All of this is bad news for Vandy and other non-monolith schools I think. TV money is the big motivation here, and what eyes does Vandy draw? Is the time for the Magnolia league drawing closer? Interested to hear what others are thinking.
Versus75
Admiral

What happened to Title IX?

Post by Versus75 »

Punish the non-revenue (mostly women’s) sports in favor of the big-time football TV deal.

The swimming, volleyball, tennis, etc. teams will have to travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland rather than to relatively nearby Arizona and Northern California — still in front of about 50 fans — while the football players pad their NIL bankrolls by expanding their market shares across the continent.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: What happened to Title IX?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:25 pm Punish the non-revenue (mostly women’s) sports in favor of the big-time football TV deal.

The swimming, volleyball, tennis, etc. teams will have to travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland rather than to relatively nearby Arizona and Northern California — still in front of about 50 fans — while the football players pad their NIL bankrolls by expanding their market shares across the continent.
I've long said that we can have superconferences in football as long as we have more regionally-centric sport-specific conferences in the other sports.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Can finally renew that storied USC-Rutgers rivalry.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Ok, so move Clemson and FLA St. to the SEC and the two super conferences are set.

Of course, we can't compete in a super conference, but we have historically stuck in the SEC in spite of long periods where we could not compete in the conference, periods of up to six years and 33 games without a conference win.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Mind boggling. And another move away from the concept of STUDENT athletics. Because an airplane trip from LA to the east coat (Maryland, Rutgers) is more than 5 hours each way, meaning even more time away from class and studies.

Who, if anyone, will the Pac-12 try to add to replace these two?
Last edited by FayetteDore on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

The new Pac 12 commissioner was quoted in a recent article:

His league is happy at 12 teams, especially with a new media rights deal being the priority in 2024. "I think realignment at the top of college athletics is done for now, for this round,"

I surmise from that quote that he must have been as surprised as anyone when he got the phone call from USC and UCLA.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Good article from Dennis Dodd at CBSsports.com about how the movement to breakaway from the NCAA is now moving fast and that big time realignment may be here.
One of his "Longshot" scenarios is the SEC "replacing underperforming" Vanderbilt and Missouri with Clemson & Miami., and the Big ten "replacing underperforming" Indiana and Purdue with Oregon and Washington.
So,once something that was unthinkable is not unthinkable anymore.
This is a football/TV rights calculation only.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

DS2001 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:20 am So,once something that was unthinkable is not unthinkable anymore.
People still need an easy win in conference. The Globetrotters need the Generals.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I sense that there is a general sense of understanding that Vanderbilt doesn't belong in a super conference where football is king but most feel protected in standing by being a founding member and whipping child of the SEC. I guess the logic is who wants to take an automatic W off of a toughening schedule when wins are so important to the finances of the program (bowls, rankings, etc..)

This will be interesting but all this is doing is weakening my desire to follow college football. The NIL is fine (to me) but this stacking the conferences with these semi-pro teams is finally tipping it in a state that isn't as interesting to me. I mean, c'mon we can watch NFL games on Thursdays, Sundays and Mondays so why do we need this?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am Mind boggling. And another move away from the concept of STUDENT athletics. Because an airplane trip from LA to the east coat (Maryland, Rutgers) is more than 5 hours each way, meaning even more time away from class and studies.

Who, if anyone, will the Pac-12 try to add to replace these two?
" We don't need no stinking classes !"
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am Who, if anyone, will the Pac-12 try to add to replace these two?
First of all, I would think the Pac-12/ACC/Big Ten Alliance is in tatters today.

If I were the Big 12, I'd be nervous. The Pac-12 may come calling for BYU, the Kansas schools and Okie State. I would not be surprised if a CA state school (San Diego State?) got an invitation. We could see a Big 12/Pac-12 merger.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am Mind boggling. And another move away from the concept of STUDENT athletics. Because an airplane trip from LA to the east coat (Maryland, Rutgers) is more than 5 hours each way …
And they don’t seem concerned with fans who like to go to an occasional road game.

If the SEC adds Oregon and Washington, I’m not driving the RV to the coast for the weekend.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

No way WA and OR tolerates a Pac conference without USC and UCLA, even if merges with the Big12. The dominos are falling.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Sorry, 555, not that i don't think you're a swell guy/girl & all, but i was trying to like the post above yours, and assumed the like heart was a toggle, but no- I've liked yours 3 x.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

I’ve had perhaps an unhealthy interest in conference realignment for years. While I was surprised when the upcoming moves of Texas and OK to the SEC was announced, the move isn’t really a shocker. This one is. The B1G has just killed the Rose Bowl in everything but name and stabbed a long time conference ally in the back.

The biggest domino left is now Notre Dame. If the Irish are lured to the B1G, (should we call it the “B1G and Wide” now since it’s on both coasts?), I think we are on a very fast track to an NFL minor league sponsored by about 40 universities. Would Vanderbilt be part of this? I would bet the other way.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Johnmn555 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:16 pm No way WA and OR tolerates a Pac conference without USC and UCLA, even if merges with the Big12. The dominos are falling.
Big Ten says no more expansion, so WA and OR are stuck...for now.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Does the University of Manila play football?
Locked Previous topicNext topic