OT: USC and UCLA planning to leave for the Big Ten as soon as 2024

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: USC and UCLA planning to leave for the Big Ten as soon as 2024

Post by cc11316 »

You know, the more I think about this massive realignment that is really just getting started, the more I think it could be a good thing for Vandy fans (like myself) who desire for Vandy to either compete at the highest level or drop to a level where they can compete in football. Hopefully, this wakes up an institution that has essentially rested on its laurels from joining the SEC in 1932 as a founding member.

The $300 million investment that has been so highly publicized appears to be a series of face lifts of a bunch of things (football operation center, basketball operation center, McGugin Center, Indoor practice facility, etc..) rather than a massive expansion effort of a stadium. These upgrades are certainly not hurting but it doesn't even get close to addressing the gap between VU and its SEC current and future brethren.

coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

VandyPhile wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:15 pm Does the University of Manila play football?
Not currently in their athletic envelope, but maybe soon.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

cc11316 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:49 pm......a massive expansion effort of a stadium.
I hope you're not saying in number of seats. Does Vandy need a new stadium? Absolutely. But i'd prefer 3,000-4,000 LESS seats.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 pm
cc11316 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:49 pm......a massive expansion effort of a stadium.
I hope you're not saying in number of seats. Does Vandy need a new stadium? Absolutely. But i'd prefer 3,000-4,000 LESS seats.
No, but it needs major upgrades from the seats it does have.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

[hudl][/hudl]
FayetteDore wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am Mind boggling. And another move away from the concept of STUDENT athletics. Because an airplane trip from LA to the east coat (Maryland, Rutgers) is more than 5 hours each way, meaning even more time away from class and studies.

Who, if anyone, will the Pac-12 try to add to replace these two?
Maybe BYU and Boise State.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:21 pm [hudl][/hudl]
FayetteDore wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:17 am Mind boggling. And another move away from the concept of STUDENT athletics. Because an airplane trip from LA to the east coat (Maryland, Rutgers) is more than 5 hours each way, meaning even more time away from class and studies.

Maybe BYU and Boise State.
San Diego State could also be a candidate and fill the void in Southern California.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One thing that worries me with all this shuffling of college football is the danger of Vandy being expelled from the SEC to make room for another juggernaut powerhouse school. I don't think that'll happen though. I believe despite what some say, our SEC brethren appreciate having us in the league since we are an almost automatic win for them, essentially a fifth non-conference easy game that counts in the league standings.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

admin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:26 pm One thing that worries me with all this shuffling of college football is the danger of Vandy being expelled from the SEC to make room for another juggernaut powerhouse school. I don't think that'll happen though. I believe despite what some say, our SEC brethren appreciate having us in the league since we are an almost automatic win for them, essentially a fifth non-conference easy game that counts in the league standings.
virtually insurmountable odds in exchange for $$$$. a faustian bargain, no?
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

An amusing take from Big Ten alum/fan and WSJ columnist Jason Gay:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-ten-us ... _permalink

A couple of excerpts:

I love people saying that USC and UCLA scuttering off to the Big Ten will be “the straw that breaks the camel’s back” in college sports. Please. That poor camel is on its ninth back. That camel has had double hump replacement surgery twice.

Money, money, money. All it is, and all it’s going to be. UCLA and USC are not coming to the Big Ten for the cheese curds. They’re not willfully leaving 80 degrees to ice fish in the Lake of the Woods. They’re not doing this because they enjoy football games that go punt, punt, punt, field goal, halftime, punt, punt, interception, punt, fumble, punt, punt, field goal. (You have not felt a thrill until you’ve experienced the Big Ten thrill of looking up at the scoreboard late in the third quarter and realizing neither team has crossed midfield since last Thursday.)
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

admin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:26 pm One thing that worries me with all this shuffling of college football is the danger of Vandy being expelled from the SEC to make room for another juggernaut powerhouse school. I don't think that'll happen though. I believe despite what some say, our SEC brethren appreciate having us in the league since we are an almost automatic win for them, essentially a fifth non-conference easy game that counts in the league standings.
I wish I believed this was true for this reason. It would mean we could have some real staying power. But its really gonna all come down to money at the end of the day. I imagine that the SEC powers that be figure they won't have any trouble capturing the Nashville market without Vanderbilt. This is more true than ever given the variety of people moving to town these days. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed though.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

OldDude wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:27 am

" We don't need no stinking classes !"
‘All in all, we’re just the bottom brick in the wall!”
Locked Previous topicNext topic