Rich states will have a huge advantage in NIL

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Rich states will have a huge advantage in NIL

Post by Golddore68 »

We have seen this already, and that’s what Nick Saban was complaining about.

The rich states in the U.S. like Texas, Florida, California, etc. will have much better NIL resources than poor states like West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc

Arch Manning just signed with Texas and probably will receive a big NIL deal. Texas A & M had the top recruiting class with a lot of NIL deals for recruits.

Tennessee is in the upper half of the country in state wealth (mainly because of the country music industry) but will some of that go to Vanderbilt or will UT capitalize more? UT already signed a quarterback recruit to a $9 million deal.

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Rich states will have a huge advantage in NIL

Post by Vandy187187 »

There are a whole host of states with shitty football are way richer than any SEC state with way bigger populations driving it. But you won't see top recruits go to NY or NJ or IL etc.

Arch Manning would have gotten a big NIL deal in South Dakota so I doubt it made any difference where he went
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I don't think it's about wealth per se.
It's about wealth that's fanatical about college football.
New York wealth donates to the Met and the Opera.

Don't show me stats about a state's average income.
Show me how many $750,000 motor coaches they have painted in school colors.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

In my mind, this whole NIL matter is just simplified to basic capitalism, supply and demand economics. The players will make what the market will bear and Saban is probably realizing that his school may not be able to compete at the highest level under this system. I say let it play out as it will stabilize over time meaning the market will determine where the best players land just like the regular job market.

It is a fair question as to where Vanderbilt falls into the equation as I have no idea but look forward to following it. Does having a smaller fan base with a larger PCPI favor or not favor the Dores as they compete with much larger fanbases for the services of these athletes.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Because Arch Manning was mentioned in the OP: I don't think young Mr. Manning was influenced by NIL. I think he's like his uncles: he chose a place that he believes is a good fit for him -- not just for football but for the college environment and his life. He may very well get a large NIL deal -- but fortunately for him, it doesn't have to be his primary concern. If he's as good as they say, he'll do quite well in the NFL after his college career.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:57 pm We have seen this already, and that’s what Nick Saban was complaining about.

The rich states in the U.S. like Texas, Florida, California, etc. will have much better NIL resources than poor states like West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc

Arch Manning just signed with Texas and probably will receive a big NIL deal. Texas A & M had the top recruiting class with a lot of NIL deals for recruits.

Tennessee is in the upper half of the country in state wealth (mainly because of the country music industry) but will some of that go to Vanderbilt or will UT capitalize more? UT already signed a quarterback recruit to a $9 million deal.
Doesn't Saban own the Mercedes dealership over by BNA? Seems like a pre-made NIL waiting to happen.
Locked Previous topicNext topic