French connection?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

French connection?

Post by BrentVU »

In last year's recruiting class Vandy signed a pair of German imports (Yilanon Ouattara and Linus Zunk) for immediate help on the defensive line (and you can expect to see both of them this fall, given the departures there).

Yesterday Vandy entertained a French player... Idrissa Koumba, a freakish edge rusher type (6-4, 230 with a 7-foot wingspan) was on campus for a camp and received a scholarship offer.

PPI, an organization that tries to arrange scholarships for talented foreign players, had arranged for him to tour the USA and visit several campuses this summer. He has reportedly also picked up an offer from Michigan.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: French connection?

Post by BrentVU »

P.S. Here is a photo of the defensive line newcomers for this fall who are enrolled this summer...

From left, Myles Cecil (transfer from Cal Poly), ???, Darren Agu, Linus Zunk, Bradley Mann. Not pictured: Yilanon Ouattara from Germany (not sure if he's enrolled yet).

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I think this is a good avenue for Vanderbilt to pursue. Maybe just a stereotype, but my guess is that the quality of academics might be a stronger draw for European players.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Let's see. Michy or Vandy. UM or VU? Tough decision.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

alathIN wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:22 am I think this is a good avenue for Vanderbilt to pursue. Maybe just a stereotype, but my guess is that the quality of academics might be a stronger draw for European players.
Agreed. I don't want to be too much of a homer for CCL and staff, but if you can find good players, this is an excellent avenue and pipeline to explore and would make me encouraged that the coaches are working to be visionary and trying to find advantages on the margins. More than just the academics being a draw, its more of a culture and predisposition type of thing. Kids raised on another continent have not been following college football their whole lives and expecting/hoping/wanting to attend big State U. That allows a consideration like academics to come to the forefront. This kind of approach also seems very typical of something that one of the very cerebral Harbaugh brothers would do so I'm not surprised to see Michigan in the mix.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Here's another official visitor from last weekend... Nnamdi Odoegu, the 3-star edge rusher from Bethesda, MD... 6-5, 235, 7-foot wingspan... he would be a phenomenal get for the program. But he did not commit and evidently still plans to take other visits.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13364015/N ... eogu/about
Locked Previous topicNext topic