Football is on deck

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyManners
Lieutenant

Football is on deck

Post by VandyManners »

Now that baseball is over, the next big sport will be football when Vandy kicks off against the Hawaii Warriors in Honolulu on 8/27. We have discussed on here many times the extreme uphill climb this team has competing in this conference and with Alabama and a vastly improved Wake Forest team, wins are going to be very hard to come by in year 2 for CCL. So, what would you consider a successful season? Where do you see the Commodores finishing in the regular season.

For me I see wins against Hawaii, Elon, and maybe one SEC win against Missouri. Many may think Northern Illinois is a sure win, but they were 9-5 with wins over Georgia Tech, Buffalo, and Wyoming. I know those aren't power house programs, but neither are we. So who knows.

What do you all think? What would you consider a successful 2022-23 season?

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Football is on deck

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Winning four games and limiting blowout losses (>4 touchdowns) to the Alabama and Georgia games would take an effort considerably better than what we saw last year. That seems like a low threshold for a "successful" season, but VU football has a long way to go.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Is South Carolina a possible win? The audacity of hope!

We've played them close -- including a 1-point loss in Columbia last year -- and it's high time we won one. Granted, Shane Beamer had a better first-year showing in 2021 than CCL, but it was a roller-coaster for the Gamecocks, beating Florida and losing to Mizzou.

I used to see Ole Miss as a possible win every year pre-season, but Kiffin has moved them to a higher level.

PS-- I agree with Vandymanners that the NIU game will be tough on the road.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Successful would be 5 Was and a bowl game. What I would accept is 3 and putting a scare into a couple better teams (all SEC, Wake)
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Vandy HAS to beat Hawaii and Elon; needs to beat either Wake, NIU or both and would be great to find an SEC win.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
CPerk
Lieutenant

Post by CPerk »

I like 4 wins this season and 6 wins the next with the recruits we're bringing in
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

CPerk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:26 pm I like 4 wins this season and 6 wins the next with the recruits we're bringing in
One step at a time in upgrading our football program. Too fast and the school is investigated. I like Lea and think we are doing it the right way. Slowly improve the quality of our recruits. One factor is the amount of time for our coaching staff to gain the trust of high school coaches. We are doing it, I believe.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I'm sure it's only me, but CCL's "10-year plan" concerns me. I'm closing in on 68 for one thing. If he doesn't have a winning season (or get to 5 wins) in the first 9, does VU keep him for 1 more?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I think 4 wins max this year. 5 or 6 may be the following year.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

FayetteDore wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:43 pm Is South Carolina a possible win? The audacity of hope!

We've played them close -- including a 1-point loss in Columbia last year -- and it's high time we won one. Granted, Shane Beamer had a better first-year showing in 2021 than CCL, but it was a roller-coaster for the Gamecocks, beating Florida and losing to Mizzou.
South Carolina has loaded up at the portal including QB.
They think they will have a much better team and last year they went to bowl and won it. Beamer is working portal for quick fixes. Their offensive line is only question mark. They are better than Ole Miss, UK, Missou, Florida and maybe UUT. We will win 3, I hope.
AuricFan
Lieutenant

Post by AuricFan »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:30 am
FayetteDore wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:43 pm Is South Carolina a possible win? The audacity of hope!

They think they will have a much better team and last year they went to bowl and won it. Beamer is working portal for quick fixes. Their offensive line is only question mark. They are better than Ole Miss, UK, Missou, Florida and maybe UUT. We will win 3, I hope.
South Carolina will be much better this year and is perennial fool's gold for us. Expectation is 3-4 wins. Success is a bowl game. We can be a mediocre 6-6 team with regularity--you'd think.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

AuricFan wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:02 am

South Carolina will be much better this year and is perennial fool's gold for us. Expectation is 3-4 wins. Success is a bowl game. We can be a mediocre 6-6 team with regularity--you'd think.
And the chances for that decline if the SEC forces a 9-came conference sked.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm seeing 2 or 3 wins this season. Hawaii or NIU (but not both) / Elon / Maybe one SEC opponent if the stars align. I envy those picking around 5 wins as I just don't see where those would be on this schedule. I could see 5 wins perhaps with a CUSA schedule but everyone in the SEC just gets better and better while I don't see significant improvement (on paper) for VU this season.
Last edited by cc11316 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

AuricFan wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:02 am

I'm going to call it now and say that S. Carolina is not as good as many think they will be. I'm guessing that the QB will wash out. I have lots of friends that are Oklahoma fans and I think he was bad in the locker room. He'll be the same there and that will hurt them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic