If Nashville gets MLB team will it hurt football attendance

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

If Nashville gets MLB team will it hurt football attendance

Post by Golddore68 »

On Jared Stillman's 102.5-FM afternoon show he spent an hour talking about the very real possibility that Nashville will get a MLB team in the next couple of years.

The MLB commissioner is wanting to expand to 32 teams and has listed Nashville as a possibility for expansion. And Nashville has been listed as a possibility for teams with struggling attendance to move to, like Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Oakland.

That being the case, baseball goes through August and September and the early part of October, which are the first months of college football season. Nashville has the Sounds now but I don't think they've really been a threat to attendance since they're a minor league team and Nashville recently got a MLS team but they have a limited fan base and I don't think they'd draw many Vanderbilt football fans.

But if Nashville gets a MLB team and they play home games on Saturdays in August and September, I can see that that could draw fans away from Vanderbilt games (especially if Vanderbilt isn't competitive like they have been the last couple of years).

Vanderbilt basketball used to be the hot ticket in winter months until the Predators came to town and that took part of the fan base. Now a MLB team could take away fans from football games.

commadore
Admiral

Re: If Nashville gets MLB team will it hurt football attendance

Post by commadore »

If it is Baltimore or Oakland, you probably not have to worry about October.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Most of our attendance is from opposing schools. Not too worried about Georgia fans going to a baseball game instead while they are here.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

As a long time Boston Red Sox fan, I would love to see Baltimore or Tampa move to Nashville. Having the Red Sox and Yankees coming to Nashville on a regular basis would be great for the city. I do not see this interfering with Vandy games too much. Attendance is already low, and as the previous guy said opposing teams are coming to see their teams play. They may stick around for an evening baseball game but I don't think it would hurt attendance.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

If 10% of our fans would rather attend an mlb game, that would only be about 300 fans, so we probably wouldn’t miss them that much! I’m sure the visiting team would gobble up those tickets.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I’m a National League fan, but it would make sense to gave an AL team in Nashville since the other closest MLB teams are National: Atlanta, Cincy, StL.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I read an article about this several weeks ago. If my understanding is correct, the ownership group does not want a relocated team - because they want to build their own team from scratch with minority POC owners. Ie expansion not relocation. Unless a current team was sold maybe?

Not really sure how that changes the prospects of getting a team or not?

Personally I don’t want an MLB team here, because I think it’s more fun to go to minor-league baseball in general. I have always liked and followed the Braves (I grew up in Alabama) but enjoy going to minor league much more. I agree having the Yankees and the Red Sox come to town would be fun. But that’s only 12-18 games a year right?
Locked Previous topicNext topic