SEC reportedly settles on two options for future schedules

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

SEC reportedly settles on two options for future schedules

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

After considering more than 30 different formats, the league has reportedly settled on two potential options: an 8-game format where teams play one permanent opponent and seven rotating opponents (1–7 model); and a 9-game format where teams play three permanent opponents and six rotating (3–6). The conference members are said to be deadlocked on which direction to take.

My guess is, if these are indeed the only two remaining options, the 9-game schedule becomes reality.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/24/s ... ule-future

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: SEC reportedly settles on two options for future schedules

Post by vandy05 »

$$$
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Who decides, presidents or AD not that there is much difference but maybe some. What do we want. I assume 8 games. Then we might make a bowl from time to time.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I'd rather have the 8 game format...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I'm guessing that UT, UK and OM would be our permanent three. They were permanents back in the six game period, so there is more history. We would probably be better off rotating and not seeing GA and FLA every year. Prepare to become the most popular school in SEC history when it comes to choosing who are the three permanents.

I guess if we're going to get destroyed at least several times, it would be more interesting to get destroyed by AL, LSU, Auburn and A&M on a rotating basis than GA and FLA every year.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

I'd rather have 8 league games...

As for permanent opponents, geographically seems like GA would be a better permanent opponent than Ole Miss. I know GA likely beats us more than Ole Miss in the future, but we do have a long history with GA and some good upsets too. I'd be fine with Ole Miss in the end. Agree UT and UK should definitely be two permanent opponents.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

In the end I think they will go to the 3 - 6 nine game format, if so they need to do away with the requirement of at least one OOC game must be a power five opponent.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Seth Emerson of The Athletic reports that after the first day of SEC meetings in Destin...
- The choice indeed seems to be between an eight-game model with seven permanent opponents, and a nine-game model with only three permanent opponents.
- The traditional power schools generally prefer nine games, while the others generally prefer eight games.
- The top SEC brass prefers nine games, so the odds probably are in favor of nine games at this point.
- A decision may or may not come this week.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Naturally the SEC brass prefers nine games; it's more revenue.

Not sure why they want an eight-game model to include seven permanent opponents, which would mean some teams wouldn't play each other for several years, like now. I thought one of the goals was to have all teams play each other more frequently.

PS -- A question for Brent: Are the SEC meetings open to the press? Or do they hold regular media briefings? Or do reporters just grab whoever they can outside of closed meeting rooms to learn whatever they can? I know I should know this but my work is not such that I can watch the SEC Network all day.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:19 am Seth Emerson of The Athletic reports that after the first day of SEC meetings in Destin...
- The choice indeed seems to be between an eight-game model with seven permanent opponents, and a nine-game model with only three permanent opponents.
That's eight games with one permanent opponent, right?
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm Naturally the SEC brass prefers nine games; it's more revenue.

Not sure why they want an eight-game model to include seven permanent opponents, which would mean some teams wouldn't play each other for several years, like now. I thought one of the goals was to have all teams play each other more frequently.

PS -- A question for Brent: Are the SEC meetings open to the press? Or do they hold regular media briefings? Or do reporters just grab whoever they can outside of closed meeting rooms to learn whatever they can? I know I should know this but my work is not such that I can watch the SEC Network all day.
No, the SEC meetings are private. Reporters aren't allowed in. But a lot of reporters hang around the hotel and try to interview the coaches or ADs or SEC brass after the meetings break up, and sometimes they talk. On Tuesday night Lane Kiffin evidently did some talking, as did Greg Sankey.

And AuricGoldfinger is correct: an eight-game schedule would mean each school has one permanent opponent (almost surely UT for Vanderbilt) and seven which rotate periodically.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:35 pm
BrentVU wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:19 am Seth Emerson of The Athletic reports that after the first day of SEC meetings in Destin...
Yes, you're correct.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re:Lea on Finebaum a few minutes ago

Post by charlestonalum »

Asked directly about VU using the portal and the answer:
Selectively to fill holes but
Strategy is longer term to build and sustain winning
The implication was VU is not going for the quick fix, but determined to recruit, retain, develop 4-5 year players who will be winners by the end of their career at Vanderbilt because the culture will be to play for each other capitalizing on the relationships and commitment to each other and "the system at Vanderbilt."

"Vanderbilt plans to win, and to sustain winning" - in other words, no quick fixes with the portal. I know a lot of vandymaniacs don't agree, but this is the plan and yes the word "patience" was bandied about by both a lot.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:08 pm

Correct.
In a 16-team league, we would play 14 of the other 15 teams within two years. In that manner, within four years we would play most teams both Home and Away. Just a bit of overflow to the fifth year.

With 4 non-conference games per year, there is a better chance for a marginal bowl team (Vanderbilt, e.g.) to get a bid.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:02 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:53 pm Naturally the SEC brass prefers nine games; it's more revenue.

No, the SEC meetings are private. Reporters aren't allowed in. But a lot of reporters hang around the hotel and try to interview the coaches or ADs or SEC brass after the meetings break up, and sometimes they talk. On Tuesday night Lane Kiffin evidently did some talking, as did Greg Sankey.

And AuricGoldfinger is correct: an eight-game schedule would mean each school has one permanent opponent (almost surely UT for Vanderbilt) and seven which rotate periodically.
Thank you, Brent, for answering my questions.

I know SOME UT fans would welcome not having to play Alabama every year (and others figure that when Saban retires, they might have a better chance to catch up). But I wonder if VU fans would prefer another permanent opponent, other than UT -- ie Ole Miss or Kentucky? Personally, I like the Vanderbilt-Tennessee matchup.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

And for those teams that have a traditional (usually) end-of-season rivalry, it would make sense for that to be the matched set. These games were all played the final regular season game last year.

INTRASTATE RIVALRIES
Vanderbilt-Tennessee
Auburn-Alabama
Ole Miss-Mississippi State

BORDER WARS
Missouri-Arkansas
Texas A&M-LSU

OUTSIDE-the-SEC
Florida-Florida State
Georgia-Georgia Tech

South Carolina-Clemson
Kentucky-Louisville

Thus, match Florida-Georgia (they can play in Jacksonville every year if they wish) and Kentucky-South Carolina (they can play at Dollywood Park if they wish).

And then Texas-Oklahoma ... their game was not on the final weekend, but nothing says the "permanent" opponent game has to be at that point in the schedule.

DONE! Eazy-Peazy.
immyaxl
Seaman Recruit

Post by immyaxl »

A 9 game SEC schedule would just guarantee 1 more loss & probably kill any chance at Bowl eligibility for the foreseeable future. Not that I think we'll be flirting with the hope of a Bowl game any time soon. I also think the NIL puts Vandy even further behind everyone else.
Doreknox
Admiral

Re: Re:Lea on Finebaum a few minutes ago

Post by Doreknox »

[quote=charlestonalum post_id=175299 time=1654115137 user_id=59]

The implication was VU is not going for the quick fix, but determined to recruit, retain, develop 4-5 year players..."

It's going to cost a lot of NIL money to recruit/retain players these days.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Does the fact that a 9-game SEC schedule creates an alternating 4-home/5-away scenario cause the league to adopt a 10-game schedule instead? Dropping the P5 OOC game requirement would compensate that for some, but the schools with an OOC rivalry game would then complain.

It seems to me that a 10-game league schedule with 5 permanent and 5 rotating opponents would accomplish the overall goal of getting more teams in every stadium in a shorter span of time.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

coachinwaiting wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:08 am It seems to me that a 10-game league schedule with 5 permanent and 5 rotating opponents would accomplish the overall goal of getting more teams in every stadium in a shorter span of time.
10 games means fewer teams with six wins, although I suppose the extra SEC contests might add enough revenue to partially offset the loss of bowl games.
Locked Previous topicNext topic